[comp.protocols.nfs] TSR to check PC-NFS network drive for mail?

esmith@peru.psych.purdue.edu (Eliot R. Smith) (10/07/89)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't seen it.  Has anyone
written a small TSR for the IBM PC that will co-exist with PC-NFS and
every N minutes, check a file mounted on a network drive for any
changes?  One could then mount one's mail directory via PC-NFS and have
the TSR pop up a text window, beep, or whatever as a signal when new mail
arrives.  The TSR would not have to allow reading mail or anything
fancy, since rsh <hostname> mail from the PC works well for that.  But
there is currently no way to get automatic notification of mail arrival
to the PC via PC-NFS.

--
Eliot R. Smith         Dept. of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University
Phone: (317) 494-7709  W. Lafayette, Indiana 47907   USA

indra@snap.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (10/07/89)

In article <10171@j.cc.purdue.edu> esmith@psych.purdue.edu (Eliot R. Smith) writes:
>I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't seen it.  Has anyone
>written a small TSR for the IBM PC that will co-exist with PC-NFS and
>every N minutes, check a file mounted on a network drive for any
>changes?
>
>there is currently no way to get automatic notification of mail arrival
>to the PC via PC-NFS.

Not true. PC-NFS Lifeline 1.0 from Sun does exactly what you want and also
provides the PC with a means of doing their own backup of their local hard
disk on to tape or disk on the NFS host. You should check it out.

Mail can be received on the PC using SMTP or the POP protocol. For POP,
however, you need to run a popd on the server. I prefer POP since it allows
mail to remain on the host which in general stays up for longer durations.

iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM                 (408) 749-5445

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/09/89)

In article <27675@amdcad.AMD.COM# indra@snap.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) writes:
#In article <10171@j.cc.purdue.edu# esmith@psych.purdue.edu (Eliot R. Smith) writes:
##I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't seen it.  Has anyone
##written a small TSR for the IBM PC that will co-exist with PC-NFS and
##every N minutes, check a file mounted on a network drive for any
##changes?
##
##there is currently no way to get automatic notification of mail arrival
##to the PC via PC-NFS.
##
#Not true. PC-NFS Lifeline 1.0 from Sun does exactly what you want and also
#provides the PC with a means of doing their own backup of their local hard
#disk on to tape or disk on the NFS host. You should check it out.
#

Thanks for the plug, Indra, but there is still a place for the function
which Eliot requested. It would indeed be nice to run a TSR which would
check your spool file on the POP server and notify you when it changed,
so that you could then run LifeLine Mail to read it. (Obviously if you
run in SMTP mode you get the popups on every incoming message.)

I can't imagine that this TSR would be too complicated, but I must
confess that I haven't got time right now to write it. Can anyone
oblige?

Geoff

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
"Who's next?" "Me, doctor?" "No, ME doctor, YOU patient." (Graham Chapman, RIP)

rh26@prism.gatech.EDU (Robert L. Howard) (10/11/89)

In article <27675@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@snap.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) writes:
=In article <10171@j.cc.purdue.edu> esmith@psych.purdue.edu (Eliot R. Smith) writes:
=>I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't seen it.  Has anyone
=>written a small TSR for the IBM PC that will co-exist with PC-NFS and
=>every N minutes, check a file mounted on a network drive for any
=>changes?
=>
=Not true. PC-NFS Lifeline 1.0 from Sun does exactly what you want and also
=provides the PC with a means of doing their own backup of their local hard
=disk on to tape or disk on the NFS host. You should check it out.

This is a good product (I use it too) but I don't know of any way to have
it tell you when you get mail (i.e. pop-up and beep).  You have to run
mail and check for mail.

I am also interested in the pop-up scheme....

Robert

--
Robert L. Howard  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 421-7165
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!rh26