[comp.protocols.nfs] PC/IP and the Packet Driver.

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/13/89)

In article <6646@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
>A couple of questions:
>We have never tried this but have always wondered it. Can you use
>the packet driver with multiple TCP/IP applications?  Say for example
>NCSA Telnet and PC-NFS.  Or would the packet driver get really confused?

The packet driver interface that I shipped off to Clarkson was very basic:
it grabs all incoming packets rather than filtering on packet
types. Modifying it to do static filtering (i.e. all ARP, RARP, IP)
is pretty trivial.  (This is what's needed for coexistence with
NetWare or other non-IP stacks.) Modifying it for dynamic filtering based
on individual UDP or TCP ports, etc. is _much_ harder, and in
general not particularly useful: how, for example, do you persuade
NCSA Telnet to use a TCP port which doesn't clash with one
used by a PC-NFS Toolkit app?

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
"Who's next?" "Me, doctor?" "No, ME doctor, YOU patient." (Graham Chapman, RIP)