[comp.protocols.nfs] Interdrive or PC/NFS Connection Timeouts

zumbachl@softeng1.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) (10/12/89)

Both Sun's PC/NFS and FTP's Interdrive don't seem to handle
network connection loss very well. It seems like there is
a high chance of losing data (and not knowing about it) if you
lose your network connection. Is this true? Shouldn't the user
be presented with the Abort, Retry, Ignore message (DOS critical
error handler?) ? Does the fact that NFS is a stateless protocol
cause the problem?

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/13/89)

In article <6@softeng1.UUCP> zumbachl@softeng1.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) writes:

>Both Sun's PC/NFS and FTP's Interdrive don't seem to handle
>network connection loss very well. It seems like there is
>a high chance of losing data (and not knowing about it) if you
>lose your network connection. Is this true? Shouldn't the user
>be presented with the Abort, Retry, Ignore message (DOS critical
>error handler?) ? Does the fact that NFS is a stateless protocol
>cause the problem?

PC-NFS will indeed give you an "Abort, Retry, Ignore" on
timeouts. The number of retries is configurable (via the "/r"
switch); if you set "/r0" we'll retry forever (or until a
Ctrl-Break). The default number is 4. Note that we use an
exponential backoff up to a 30 second retry interval; the
initial value and the backoff rate depend on the network
connection.

As for losing data, the timeout condition is treated the same
as a Drive Not Ready on a diskette. If you select "Retry",
the system call is restarted by DOS, and  if the network
is now ok (e.g. the server has rebooted) you'll lose no data.

I'll let James comment on InterDrive.

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
"Who's next?" "Me, doctor?" "No, ME doctor, YOU patient." (Graham Chapman, RIP)

corwin@ftp.COM (Walter Stickle) (10/18/89)

In article <6@softeng1.UUCP> zumbachl@softeng1.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) writes:
>Both Sun's PC/NFS and FTP's Interdrive don't seem to handle
>network connection loss very well. It seems like there is
>a high chance of losing data (and not knowing about it) if you
>lose your network connection. Is this true? Shouldn't the user
>be presented with the Abort, Retry, Ignore message (DOS critical
>error handler?) ? Does the fact that NFS is a stateless protocol
>cause the problem?

Well, Since Geoff answered for PC/NFS, I'll just answer for
InterDrive.  While waiting for a transaction response, InterDrive uses
an adaptive retransmit algorhythim to retry for a configurable amount
of time.  In the case of a timout, the current version does return an
error.  The assumption was that most routines would check for error
returns, making the critical error handling a moderatly low priority.
It has become clear that this is a bad assumption, and that simply
returning an error is the *wrong* thing to do.

So... DOS critical error handling has been added to the next
release (currently under development), to allow the user the "Abort,
Retry, Ignore" options.  Like the current version, the time before the
timout will be configurable, but no error will be returned (and no
data lost) unless the user so chooses.

	-wls
Walter L. Stickle	   corwin@vax.ftp.com                  ..!ftp!corwin
Hacking Networking for FTP Software,	        Wakefield MA  (617)-246-0900
      ...and playing Guitar until my fingers fall off...          ext. 277