[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS - What is it?

shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) (10/19/89)

I've seen mention of a package called 'PC-NFS' floating around in various
net.groups, and I'm curious about it.

We've just come upon a problem at work where we need to get files back and
forth from an SCO Xenix system (about 15-25 users) to a Wang VS.  There is
a program for the VS to move files to a PC hard drive via a serial link.
That's no problem.  Can I use PC-NFS to make those files available to the
SCO system like a Unix NFS system?

Example:
	The VS downloads a file to the PC (unattended), and the file appears on
	the PC as FILE.MOO in D:\

	The SCO system references that file as /usr/PC1/d/file.moo and copies
	via ethernet onto the Unix box.

Can this work?  Can I make a PC hard drive accessible via NFS from a Unix
box?

Question 2 - what does this kind of system (PC-NFS) do to the performance
of the PC (is it a background program, or do I run PCNFS, and the machine
is permanently linked to its Ethernet card?)

This are not just idle thoughts - My customer is keen to make sure this
can work...

/--------------------+ 'The shortest distance +------------------\
|    Dave Shevett    |  between two puns is a | Labyrinth II BBS |
| shevett@labii.UUCP |  straight line...'     |  W. Trenton, NJ  |
\--------------------+       - Doc Webster    +------------------/

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/22/89)

In article <228@labii.UUCP> shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) writes:
|Can I use PC-NFS to make those files available to the
|SCO system like a Unix NFS system?

Unless Sun has added that functionality in recent releases, no.  The
last time I used PC-NFS it was client-side only -- the idea was to
give PC's access to large (shared) disk space on mainframes.

Using PC-NFS to transfer files is comparable in speed to local
fixed-disk to fixed-disk copying, so it will serve your needs better
than a serial link, but you will require ethernet for the PC.

Note that PC-NFS comes with a variety of networking tools, not just
the NFS functionality.  When I was installing it there were numerous
strangenesses (as with most networking software for PCs), particularly
with 386 machines.  Other than that the product seemed to work as
advertised.  It ate up something like 200k though; if this hasn't been
improved upon you really want a fully-configured MS-DOS machine.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/23/89)

In article <1989Oct22.164634.2948@world.std.com> madd@world.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
>Note that PC-NFS [...] ate up something like 200k though; if this hasn't been
>improved upon you really want a fully-configured MS-DOS machine.

I dunno how Jim configured his system, but PC-NFS does NOT take up 200KB.
Depending on the link level driver it's around 85-100KB; PC-NFS and DOS
together typically occupy around 135K, leaving over 500KB for apps in a
fully-configured 640KB. Use of hardware (RYBS HiCard) or software
(QEMM or 386-to-the-Max) can free up quite a lot more space.

Geoff

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
"Who's next?" "Me, doctor?" "No, ME doctor, YOU patient." (Graham Chapman, RIP)