[comp.protocols.nfs] Help wanted with Ungermann-Bass cards and PC-NFS

wheeler@cs.utah.edu (Bob Wheeler) (10/20/89)

We have some IBM PS/2 PCs and we recently purchased some Ungermann Bass
networking cards to run Sun's PC-NFS. (We got the Ungermann-Bass cards
because we thought that someday we would run AIX on the machines.)
Anyway, the NFS manual says that the cards will work but after trying
to get them to go we called Sun and they said that the manual was wrong
and the cards are not supported. They did say that they have heard of
people using them and they told us that there is a way to do it but they
didn't know how. Does anyone know how to make these things work? It
looks like we are missing a configuration file and possibly a driver.

The cards are Ungermann-Bass NIC cards.

    Thanks,

    Bob Wheeler
    U. of Utah Physics Dept.

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct19.194253.27054@hellgate.utah.edu> wheeler@cs.utah.edu (Bob Wheeler) writes:

>We have some IBM PS/2 PCs and we recently purchased some Ungermann Bass
>networking cards to run Sun's PC-NFS. (We got the Ungermann-Bass cards
>because we thought that someday we would run AIX on the machines.)
>Anyway, the NFS manual says that the cards will work but after trying
>to get them to go we called Sun and they said that the manual was wrong
>and the cards are not supported.

The manual is not wrong, Ungermann-Bass is! Or at least that's my
opinion, given that they label all of their dumb boards "NIC" even
though they're software-incompatible. We wrote, and ship, a driver for
the only NIC that existed at that time: the PC bus version. I wish
people would use proper model numbers, like (for example) 3Com does.

>                                    They did say that they have heard of
>people using them and they told us that there is a way to do it but they
>didn't know how.

We had reports (which now appear to be incorrect) that someone had written
a public-domain Packet Driver for the PS2/NIC, and that they had
used the PC-NFS Packet Driver interface code I posted to Clarkson.
I never received confirmation of this.  (If anyone in sales/telemarketing
mentioned this, they are/were out of line....)

>                    Does anyone know how to make these things work? It
>looks like we are missing a configuration file and possibly a driver.

Given a Packet Driver for the card, you can get up and running with
PC-NFS. NCSA Telnet does include a (non-packet) driver, and there's
source code in the distribution, so it shouldn't be a big task. I don't
have time right now, unfortunately...

>The cards are Ungermann-Bass NIC cards.

 Yeah. Right. Does anyone from U-B read this group?

Geoff
Geoff Arnold,                    | Poetic justice: Senna pushing Prost off,
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.| restarting illegally, getting disqual-
Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM     | ified and thereby handing the 1989 World
Disclaimer: yeah, er... ok, sure | Championship to Prost. Way to go, Alain!