[comp.protocols.nfs] PCNFS, The Toolkit and NFSDRIVE

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (11/27/89)

After many months I have again started writing code using the PC-NFS
Programmers Toolkit and have been reminded of a problem I struck way back
but had conveniently forgotten about.

On our PCs we have a very small host file which serves only to perform a
network connection and mount the default drives, we then set NFSDRIVE to
'P' which is a read-only, shared drive with lots of software on. There is
an NFS directory on that drive which has our real hosts file on it.

I have a small UDP program which attempts to look up a host using
'gethostbyname', the annoying thing is that it doesn't seem to take any
notice of the NFSDRIVE variable. The program is compiled with NO_YP
because we don't use YP. I want it to use the hosts file on the P: drive
but it seems to insist on using the one on my C: drive?? I have tried
setting the active drive to P: inside the program before calling
'gethost' but that still doesn't work.

Has anybody experienced this and if so what do you do to fix it. I
recall that my solution last time was to hard-code the IP number into the
program but I don't really like doing that.

--
  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12

jesse@rlgvax.UUCP (Jesse Barber) (12/03/89)

In article <410@massey.ac.nz> GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:

>I have a small UDP program which attempts to look up a host using
>'gethostbyname', the annoying thing is that it doesn't seem to take any
>notice of the NFSDRIVE variable. The program is compiled with NO_YP
>because we don't use YP. I want it to use the hosts file on the P: drive
>but it seems to insist on using the one on my C: drive?? I have tried
>setting the active drive to P: inside the program before calling
>'gethost' but that still doesn't work.

We also saw this problem. It appeared to us that the 'net start' command
reads this environment variable, and caches it's value. Thus changing
the value after you have PCNFS does no good. Our use was for floppy based
machines, and we needed to remove the PC-NFS boot diskette after startup.
No go. If you get any solutions to this problem, please either e-mail
me or post it. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jesse
--
..!uunet!rlgvax!jesse ( Jesse @ C.C.I. Reston, Va.)

Have brain, will travel

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (12/07/89)

The problem with the NFSDRIVE variable and the PC-NFS Toolkit
would appear to have been addressed.  I have had a reply from Steve
McCarthy from Sun East (smccarthy@east.sun.com) who is prepared, well he
was last time I heard from him,  to make available a version of the
library to me that will fix the problem.

It seems a pity that upgrading the PC-NFS Toolkit is not a high priority
with Sun.  I find it hard to believe that a product released in Apr'87
was bug-free and has had no work done on it since then.  Since we first
looked at PC-NFS, back at v2, we have had v3.0.0 and recently 3.0.1.  It
would be nice if an updated version of the toolkit were available, that
it could be distributed to the various Sun Support Centres around the globe.