[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS - An application directory

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (04/10/90)

I have had a number of replies to my question about installing Paradox on
a PC-NFS network, most just asked me to tell them how I got on.  Others
asking what other software we are using.

It would seem that almost everytime I post to this group I get a flurry
of replies asking the same questions.  Many of the questions would be
better answered by a well written sales brochure or booklet.

For the most part PC-NFS is working well for us.  We have had a few
problems which the team at Sun East have been very helpfull with and we
have a few which they haven't but those are the breaks.

An idea that was posted recently which didn't generate much traffic was
that of a list of applications that are known to run correctly on a
PC-NFS network.  To which I added, it would be nice to know what work
arounds can be used to get some of the others to work.

I understand that Sun Microsystems have a book called 'CATALYST' which is
a directory of 3rd party products for the Sun Workstations.  Maybe ECD
can allocate part of a position to maintaining something similiar for
PC-NFS.  If it were accessible electronically I would be a willing
contributor.  I would also be a willing reader.  Perhaps the comments and
experience of users would be useful in shaping the future of the PC-NFS
product ?

  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12
             E-Mail via Internet: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (04/10/90)

In article <669@massey.ac.nz> GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:

>An idea that was posted recently which didn't generate much traffic was
>that of a list of applications that are known to run correctly on a
>PC-NFS network.

>                                                             Maybe ECD
>can allocate part of a position to maintaining something similiar for
>PC-NFS.  If it were accessible electronically I would be a willing
>contributor.

Me too...

>              I would also be a willing reader.

...and again.

Robert

--
Robert L. Howard  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 528-7165
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!rhoward

angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (04/11/90)

In article <7823@hydra.gatech.EDU> rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
>In article <669@massey.ac.nz> GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
>
>>An idea that was posted recently which didn't generate much traffic was
>>that of a list of applications that are known to run correctly on a
>>PC-NFS network.
>
>>                                                             Maybe ECD
>>can allocate part of a position to maintaining something similiar for
>>PC-NFS.  If it were accessible electronically I would be a willing
>>contributor.
>
>Me too...
>
>>              I would also be a willing reader.
>
>...and again.

 A really good idea. I would contribute too.
Think also that some people , though using the same software,
may not be working in the same conditions ( Some softwares are sold
protected or not, or with different configurations, depending on the country).