[comp.protocols.nfs] Writing Postscript code....

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (05/29/90)

If the concerns about Postscript is that is is hard to write
en masse, then having a C compiler which generates
Postscript should alleviate a lot of those concerns (the
meta-discussion of whether C is a programming language as well
isn't appropriate for this group, and is moot as well).

Further, if one looks closely at the existing NFS protocol
and the NeFS built-ins, one will discover that it takes
very little Postscript to implement most of what you
really want to do.  By all means, a certain amount of
reason should prevail, like: I would not recommened an
attempt to implement a database system in Postscript so
it can be downloaded to the server!!!

But by the same token, I have read (but admittedly not
written much) NeWS code done with the Class system, and
it certainly doesn't read as awful as some would imply.
Have people been badly burned and are speaking from hard-won
experience here?

	-Mike

pallas@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Joe Pallas) (05/30/90)

In <23683@bellcore.bellcore.com> mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael
O'Dell) writes:

>But by the same token, I have read (but admittedly not
>written much) NeWS code done with the Class system, and
>it certainly doesn't read as awful as some would imply.

The NeWS Class system is best described as an example of an
object-oriented language implemented in PostScript.  Granted, it is an
embedded implementation, so all of PostScript is exposed to the
programmer.  But its very existence is evidence of PostScript's
inadequacy as a programming language.

>Have people been badly burned and are speaking from hard-won
>experience here?

I know I have and am.  I don't know about anyone else.

joe

mh@awds26.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May30.030703.462@Neon.Stanford.EDU> pallas@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Joe Pallas) writes:

 >The NeWS Class system is best described as an example of an
 >object-oriented language implemented in PostScript.  Granted, it is an
 >embedded implementation, so all of PostScript is exposed to the
 >programmer.  But its very existence is evidence of PostScript's
 >inadequacy as a programming language.

Well... you can make this rather flippant comment about almost any programming
language. For example:

	"The very existence of the C standard library is evidence of C's
	inadequacy as a programming language."

Which is a pretty ridiculous statement. I've used PostScript quite a bit
(probably more than most of the PostScript flamers in previous postings)
and i find it similar to lisp in ease of use , maintainablilty, etc..

 >>Have people been badly burned and are speaking from hard-won
 >>experience here?
 >
 >I know I have and am.  I don't know about anyone else.

How have you been burned? This is, for the most part, genuine
curiousity. I'd be interested in hearing something more specific.

I don't have an opinion on NeFS one way or the other yet but this "I don't
like PostScript, it's icky" commentary is non-informative at best.

aperez@cvbnet.UUCP (Arturo Perez x6739) (05/31/90)

From article <53478@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM>, by mh@awds26.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman):
> In article <1990May30.030703.462@Neon.Stanford.EDU> pallas@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Joe Pallas) writes:
>  >
>  >The NeWS Class system is best described as an example of an
>  >object-oriented language implemented in PostScript.  Granted, it is an
>  >embedded implementation, so all of PostScript is exposed to the
>  >programmer.  But its very existence is evidence of PostScript's
>  >inadequacy as a programming language.
>  >

> Well... you can make this rather flippant comment about almost any programming
> language. For example:
>
> 	"The very existence of the C standard library is evidence of C's
> 	inadequacy as a programming language."
>
> Which is a pretty ridiculous statement. I've used PostScript quite a bit
> (probably more than most of the PostScript flamers in previous postings)
> and i find it similar to lisp in ease of use , maintainablilty, etc..

I don't think this scans in quite the way that Joe Pallas' statement did.

A more appropriate statement would have been:

	"The very existence of the X toolkit and widgets is evidence of
	C's inadequacy as a graphical (or UI) programming language."

Anyway, all I know about Postscript is that it's ugly and proprietary (not
necessarily the same thing :-).

What makes Postscript so hard (or easy) to program in?  And why should we even
want to write filesystems in a language designed for page description?

Why isn't someone proposing a language designed for something a little more
general?  For example, how about Smalltalk?

Hey, just 'cause Postscript is out there doesn't mean we have to use it.  We
could probably use any interpretable language, Lisp, Forth, or even Perl!

Again, why should we use a page description language for a filesystem?

Arturo Perez
ComputerVision, a division of Prime
aperez@cvbnet.prime.com
Too much information, like a bullet through my brain -- The Police

pallas@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Joe Pallas) (06/01/90)

In <53478@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> mh@awds26.imsd.contel.com (Mike
Hoegeman) writes:

[quote of my saying the NeWS Class system is evidence of PostScript's
 inadequacy]

>Well... you can make this rather flippant comment about almost any programming
>language. For example:

>	"The very existence of the C standard library is evidence of C's
>	inadequacy as a programming language."

>Which is a pretty ridiculous statement.

Yes, I agree---because using standard library does not change the
fundamental model of computation the way the NeWS
objects-in-PostScript system does.  The fundamental operation in the
NeWS class system is "send message", which is not a PostScript
operation.  The fundamental operation in the use of a C library is
"call function", which is a C operation.

But this is not worth arguing over.

>How have you been burned? This is, for the most part, genuine
>curiousity. I'd be interested in hearing something more specific.

I've been burned by dynamic binding, which makes it practically
impossible to write recursive procedures with named own variables.
I've been burned by stack overflow/underflow because some procedure
didn't leave the stack the way some other procedure expected.  I've
been burned by STATIC binding, because Adobe encouraged people to use
the "bind" operator, which improves performance by completely changing
the semantics of the language.  I've also been burned by the
machine-dependent limit on the length of an executable array literal,
when I had some code being generated by a program.

All of this is just the language, excluding the times I've been burned
by machine-dependent graphics operations.

joe

Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) (06/03/90)

In article <506@cvbnetPrime.COM> aperez@cvbnet.UUCP (Arturo Perez x6739) writes:

>Anyway, all I know about Postscript is that it's ugly and proprietary (not
>necessarily the same thing :-).
>
>What makes Postscript so hard (or easy) to program in?  And why should we even
>want to write filesystems in a language designed for page description?
>
>Why isn't someone proposing a language designed for something a little more
>general?  For example, how about Smalltalk?
>
>Hey, just 'cause Postscript is out there doesn't mean we have to use it.  We
>could probably use any interpretable language, Lisp, Forth, or even Perl!

PostScript is nice and easy to program in. Smalltalk, Lisp, Forth are ugly.

I would never think of using Smalltalk or Lisp for a NeFS or NeWS server.

   Dan

alpope@skids.Sun.COM (Alan L Pope) (06/05/90)

In article <506@cvbnetPrime.COM>, aperez@cvbnet.UUCP (Arturo Perez x6739) writes:

> Hey, just 'cause Postscript is out there doesn't mean we have to use it.  We
> could probably use any interpretable language, Lisp, Forth, or even Perl!

Yeah.  Great.  Let's use TECO.

					Alan Pope <alpope@Eng.Sun.COM>

tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) (06/06/90)

Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) writes:

>PostScript is nice and easy to program in. Smalltalk, Lisp, Forth are ugly.

And Dick Nixon was not a crook. :-)

--
Terry Kane                                             gatech!stiatl!tok
Sales Technologies, Inc