[comp.protocols.nfs] /etc/rmtab - how to control its growth?

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (07/03/90)

I believe that the answer to this query will probably vary depending
upon the implementation but there must be some generalities that
would help.

We have lots of PCs using PC-NFS to mount filesystems on various
servers.  At the moment the standard way of ending up is a user
simply turns off the PC.  This does not dismount the filesystems on
the server.  The /etc/rmtab file I believe is used to 'remember'
remote mounts across a reboot, but the actual mount table is memory
resident.  In the case of our Pyramid 9815, rmtab is growing at a
steady rate.  Some of the entries have been 'commented' out by the
system i.e. a # in the first character position.  Watching the file
with 'tail -f' shows new entries being added everytime a client
mounts a filesystem.

Can rmtab be removed from time to time?  Is there someway that on the
server I can say dismount all the filesystems that client 'x' has
mounted on this server?  Could having lots of filesystems 'mounted'
when the appropriate client has gone away have an adverse effect on
performance ?

  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12
             E-Mail via Internet: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) (07/04/90)

In article <807@massey.ac.nz>, GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
> I believe that the answer to this query will probably vary depending
> upon the implementation but there must be some generalities that
> would help.
>
> :

I can describe Sun's implementation.

> Can rmtab be removed from time to time?

If the size of the /etc/rmtab is a burden then it's OK just to
truncate it.

> Is there someway that on the
> server I can say dismount all the filesystems that client 'x' has
> mounted on this server?

No. I think you just want to be able to delete entries selectively
from /etc/rmtab.  How about:

	grep -v "<client>:" > /tmp/rmtab ; mv /tmp/rmtab /etc/mtab

>Could having lots of filesystems 'mounted'
> when the appropriate client has gone away have an adverse effect on
> performance ?

No.  The /etc/rmtab entries are the only "state" that a server
maintains concerning individual clients.
--

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 uucp: sun!bcallaghan