[comp.protocols.nfs] NFS Client for VMS?

gkenley@palladium.UUCP (Greg Kenley) (08/15/89)

At last years NFS connectathon a "company" called TGV, Two Guys and a VAX,
reportedly had an implementation of Client NFS for VAX/VMS.  I recently
heard that they sold this implementation to Excelan.  Does anyone know of
a true Client NFS implementation for VAX/VMS to date?

Thanks in advance.
Greg Kenley
Epoch
harvard!cfisun!palladium!gkenley

kashtan@unix.SRI.COM (David Kashtan) (08/17/89)

We are indeed the "guys" with client NFS for VMS.  Although Excelan
is a distributor of our TCP product (MultiNet) they are NOT a distributor
of client NFS.  We are in the process of turning what you saw at
connectathon into a real product.  It is looking like a really good
client is going to need the Rev 3 NFS protocol (Rev 2 is going to
produce a very brain-damaged VMS filesystem).

David Kashtan
TGV Incorporated

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (07/05/90)

Someone before me bought Wollongong TCP & NFS for VMS; unfortuneatly,
as I found out in a moment of need, the NFS product is server side
only for VMS.

Does anyone know of or have a (preferable PD) NFS client side
software for VMS??

My need is to have a client that will talk to a VMS NFS server.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.
Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.

smith@clion4.enet.dec.com (Joe Smith) (07/06/90)

You might try TGV inc. I don't have their literature handy, but I know
that they offer
BOTH client and server for VMS. They're from the Santa Clara, Ca.
vicinity, but I'm not sure...

Joe

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (07/06/90)

In article <hart.647196212@blackjack>, hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:
> Someone before me bought Wollongong TCP & NFS for VMS; unfortuneatly,
> as I found out in a moment of need, the NFS product is server side
> only for VMS.
>
> Does anyone know of or have a (preferable PD) NFS client side
> software for VMS??
>
> My need is to have a client that will talk to a VMS NFS server.

Doing a client for VMS is a killer. At one time Wollongong reportedly said it
couldn't be done. If they really said that, they were wrong.

The only client now available is from TGV, Inc and is layered on top of their
MultiNet product. While the client is pretty cheap, the base MultiNet is fairly
expensive. But chaeper than Wollongong when I last compared.

For information, contact TGV at 800 TGV-3440.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

gavron@sunquest.UUCP (Ehud Gavron) (07/06/90)

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:

>Someone before me bought Wollongong TCP & NFS for VMS; unfortuneatly,
>as I found out in a moment of need, the NFS product is server side
>only for VMS.

>Does anyone know of or have a (preferable PD) NFS client side
>software for VMS??

	TGV Inc. sells a TCP/IP system that is not only QIO compatible
	with Wollonwrong's software, but they also sell an accompanying
	NFS client.  You can contact them at 1-800-TGV-3440 or send mail
	to service@tgv.com.

>Any and all help is appreciated.

	This is one of those postings I *enjoyed* writing...

--
| Ehud Gavron, Systems analyst  | sunquest!gavron@cs.arizona.edu (uucp)      |
| Sunquest Information Systems  | sunquest!gavron@uunet.uu.net   (alternate) |