[comp.protocols.nfs] Software Licensing Question

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (07/26/90)

This may be a really dumb question, but I've not seen it
discussed anywhere, so I'll be the dummy:

What licensing arrangements are PC-DOS software vendors making
in re use of their software in PC-NFS/PC/TCP+ environments?
That is, what's to keep someone from placing multiple copies of
their favorite DOS (single-user) word processor or spreadsheet
on an NFS server and dishing it out to multiple PC's via the virtual
drive?  (That is, other than their conscience?)
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (07/26/90)

In article <1698@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>This may be a really dumb question, but I've not seen it
>discussed anywhere, so I'll be the dummy:
>
>What licensing arrangements are PC-DOS software vendors making
>in re use of their software in PC-NFS/PC/TCP+ environments?
>That is, what's to keep someone from placing multiple copies of
>their favorite DOS (single-user) word processor or spreadsheet
>on an NFS server and dishing it out to multiple PC's via the virtual
>drive?  (That is, other than their conscience?)
>--
Answer: Nothing. ( other that your conscience and laws.)
If you have a close look to your software licenses, you'll see
that you can use it on ONE computer, whatever is the way you load it.
When we want to load a software from our NFS server, we buy as many licenses
as computers going to use it, though we install only one on the server.
( if it's a single-user software).

If you want to obey the laws, some networks features semaphores/flags to count
and restrict the numbers of users to the numbers of licenses.(Novell
does it?)
I think G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz did something about that on his PC-NFS network.
IFSIC /IRISA                               |
Atelier Micro                              | Telephone : 99.36.20.00 poste 480
Universite de Rennes I                     |
Campus de beaulieu                         | Fax : 99.38.38.32
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE                |