[comp.protocols.nfs] NFS driver for Ungerman-Bass PC-NIU board

schneidr@cs.washington.edu (Scott Schneider) (08/22/90)

Help!

I am trying to install PC-NFS on a PC with an Ungerman-Bass PC-NIU ethernet
board already installed.  I am attempting to establish PC-NFS connection
to an Apollo running NFS.  Note that I have a PC-NIU board and not a PC_NIC
board, for which U-B already has an NFS driver.

My question is:  does anyone know if UB has written an NFS driver for their
PC-NIU board?  A phone # for UB would also help.

Alternatively, does anyone have an suggestions for workarounds if UB does
not have a PC-NIU NFS driver?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Schneider
     Boeing Commercial Airplane
           schneidr@june.cs.washington.edu

--
Scott Schneider                  | "Communication with an engineer is |
Boeing Commercial                |  only slightly more difficult than |

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (08/23/90)

Quoth schneidr@cs.washington.edu (Scott Schneider) (in <12854@june.cs.washington.edu>):
#Help!
#
#I am trying to install PC-NFS on a PC with an Ungerman-Bass PC-NIU ethernet
#board already installed.  I am attempting to establish PC-NFS connection
#to an Apollo running NFS.  Note that I have a PC-NIU board and not a PC_NIC
#board, for which U-B already has an NFS driver.
#
#My question is:  does anyone know if UB has written an NFS driver for their
#PC-NIU board?  A phone # for UB would also help.

Ungermann-Bass has written an NDIS MAC driver for the NIU which is
"released and selectively available" (I think I got that right.) In
conjunction with the PC-NFS NDIS interface it allows you to run PC-NFS
over an NIU. My contact at U-B is Don Livinghouse, on 408-562-7939;
he's on vacation right now, but I'm sure you can negotiate your way
through their voicemail system to another human being in marketing :-)

Someone else recently reported (on this or some other newsgroup)
problems with getting this configuration to run OK. I know that I had
to tweak the PROTOCOL.INI that U-B supplies, but it works fine for me.
If you have any problems, email me.

Also, if anyone needs to run PC-NFS over a NICps2, please email me.

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --

To receive a full copy of my .signature, please dial 1-900-GUE-ZORK.
Each call will cost you one zorkmid.

xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov (Steven Eubanks) (08/23/90)

In article <12854@june.cs.washington.edu> schneidr@cs.washington.edu (Scott Schneider) writes:

>I am trying to install PC-NFS on a PC with an Ungerman-Bass PC-NIU ethernet
>board already installed.  I am attempting to establish PC-NFS connection
>
>My question is:  does anyone know if UB has written an NFS driver for their
>PC-NIU board?  A phone # for UB would also help.

Seeing as PC-NFS on UB cards seems to be a popular issue, I'm posting this
to the net.  To the best of my understanding UB now offers NDIS drivers for
(at least some) of their cards.  This includes the aforementioned PC-NIU.
The NDIS driver for the PC-NIU hasn't been out for more than a couple of
weeks ( Better late than never? :-)), but I have tested it successfully
against PC-NFS as well as FTP Software's InterDrive.   I've been told that
the NDIS approach is UB's recommendation for running NFS on their cards.

The number at UB's hq is 408-496-0111.

>Scott Schneider
>     Boeing Commercial Airplane
>           schneidr@june.cs.washington.edu

DISCLAIMER: I only responded because we have a couple thousand PC-NIUs.

Steven W. Eubanks,
EDS/LIMS- NASA Lewis Research Center

--
Steven W. Eubanks,  EDS/LIMS			NASA Lewis Research Center
Internet:xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov		21000 Brookpark Rd.