[comp.protocols.nfs] info requested on pc-nfs vendors

rama@bgsuvax.UUCP (Sub Ramakrishnan) (09/02/90)

We have an Ethernet set up with SUN workstations.
We plan to buy some ethernet cards for our (386 based) PCs
and install PC-NFS on them for instructional use in n/w courses.
One can buy from SUN PC-NFS client software for each PC or
buy a site license. Both choices are expensive.
Question:
(1)  Is there any vendor who provides PC-NFS at a better price?
     [As an example, in the APPLE world, Cayman's gator
     box provides connectivity between LocalTalk and Ethernet
     AND also provides PC-NFS in the gator box! Thus the
     PC-NFS software is on one (gateway) m/c and not on every client.
     I think a cost effective solution like this for PCs would be good.]

(2)  Is something comparable available in the public-domain?

(3)  Any compelling reasons to go with SUNs PC-NFS?
     If we go with the SUN alternative, is it better to
     buy the ethernet cards from them or from a third party?
     Any recommendations about potential third parties?
I started reading this news group only recently.  If this has been
discussed N! times would someone post a summary please? Thanks.
Sub Ramakrishnan                               internet:  rama@andy.bgsu.edu

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (09/04/90)

In article <6197@bgsuvax.UUCP> rama@bgsuvax.UUCP (Sub Ramakrishnan) writes:

>(1)  Is there any vendor who provides PC-NFS at a better price?

The only one I've looked into so far is FTP Software's PC/TCP +
Interdrive.  It's not any cheaper than the usual 33% educational
discount from Sun, and much more than the current 50% discount.

>(3)  Any compelling reasons to go with SUNs PC-NFS?
>     If we go with the SUN alternative, is it better to
>     buy the ethernet cards from them or from a third party?
>     Any recommendations about potential third parties?

Sun supports NIS (being careful not to use that YP word.)  I have been
told that FTP Software's Interdrive (NFS) allows you access to
anything below your mount point, even if it's not yours.  PC-NFS does
not have this weekness.  Sun also produces some nice mail and tar
software to complement PC-NFS.

The one flaw I've found in PC-NFS is its weakness supporting my X
server software.  The people who wrote the software claim it's the
fault of PC-NFS, and the TCP/IP they supply does work much better.
Any word on improvements from the Sun camp?

As for hardware, I tested the 3Com I got with PC-NFS against a Western
Digital with on board memory and found hardly any difference in
performance.  Since Sun seems willing to give the discount on the card
as well as the software, it usually works out cheaper just to buy it
from them.

I have worked with PC-NFS for at least 3 years and have always been
quite impressed.  However, I'm always interested in alternatives.  Any
other experience out there?

				 Eric Pilger
				 NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (09/04/90)

In article <6197@bgsuvax.UUCP> rama@bgsuvax.UUCP (Sub Ramakrishnan) writes:

>We have an Ethernet set up with SUN workstations.
>We plan to buy some ethernet cards for our (386 based) PCs
>and install PC-NFS on them for instructional use in n/w courses.
>One can buy from SUN PC-NFS client software for each PC or
>buy a site license. Both choices are expensive.
>Question:
>(1)  Is there any vendor who provides PC-NFS at a better price?
>     [As an example, in the APPLE world, Cayman's gator
>     box provides connectivity between LocalTalk and Ethernet
>     AND also provides PC-NFS in the gator box! Thus the
>     PC-NFS software is on one (gateway) m/c and not on every client.
>     I think a cost effective solution like this for PCs would be good.]
  There are several NFS client vendors other then Sun. They are
		Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd (416) 648-6556
		FTP Software (617) 246-0900
	 	Wollongong (xxx) yyy-zzzz

  I do know which is less expensive, but I don't think that it is appropriate
to mention that in this venue.

>(2)  Is something comparable available in the public-domain?

	If you are a University there is a version available which is slightly
cheaper then the commercial ones.

>(3)  Any compelling reasons to go with SUNs PC-NFS?

>     If we go with the SUN alternative, is it better to
>     buy the ethernet cards from them or from a third party?
>     Any recommendations about potential third parties?
	You can usually get a better deal by buying the cards seperatly.
>Sub Ramakrishnan                               internet:  rama@andy.bgsu.edu

	- Carl Beame
	Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
	Beame@McMaster.CA