[comp.protocols.nfs] Another extension to PCNFSD

peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) (09/11/90)

>It would be nice if one could say something like:
>NET USE LPT1: \\HOST\lp-p-m
>which would have the effect of pcnfsd issuing the command:
>lpr -Plp -p -m filename.
>Of course one could choose another "option-separator-character".

I very much agree. The best would be to call a pcnfs-print script
instead of lpr and tha possibility to send over any number of parameters.
I know it's easy to put into the code, but I never get around to do it.

    ///////  //  //   Peter Hausken, University of Oslo
   //   //  //  //    PB. 1059, Blindern, N-0316 OSLO 3, Norway
  ///////  //////     Voice: +47-2-453524 Fax: +47-2-455770
 //       //  //      Internet: Peter.Hausken@USE.UiO.NO  (peterh@ifi.uio.no)
//       //  //       X.400 SA: G=Peter;S=Hausken;OU=USE;O=UiO;P=UNINETT;C=NO

petervc@sci.kun.nl (Peter van Campen) (09/11/90)

In <954@massey.ac.nz> GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
>  Some time ago, Geoff Arnold (Sun Microsystems) asked for comments
>  regarding extensions, improvements to the facilities provided by the
>  PCNFSD daemon.
I never saw Geoff's article, but I do have an idea for an extension to
pcnfsd, regarding the use by PC-NFS users of all possible options of the
lpr-command when mounting or using a printer.

It would be nice if one could say something like:
NET USE LPT1: \\HOST\lp-p-m
which would have the effect of pcnfsd issuing the command:
lpr -Plp -p -m filename.
Of course one could choose another "option-separator-character".

I never got to putting the few lines of code in pcnfsd.c that would
accomplish this, but I think it would be a nice feature.

Peter van Campen, petervc@sci.kun.nl,  Computer and Communications Department
Faculty of Science, University of Nijmegen, 6525 ED NIJMEGEN, The Netherlands

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (09/12/90)

I have had a couple of people reply to me via EMail regarding my idea
for controlling application licenses via PCNFSD.  Both thought it was
a good one.

We have been running a system that runs as standard programs that
'exec' each other.  Although it has been working well the whole
technique really needs to be below this so that there is *NO* way
that a user can actually get beneath the code and bypass any checks
or authorisation procedure.

I vaguely remember a couple of PC products that do something similiar
to our technique, then there are the PC Applications that actually do
their own license control e.g. Paradox, Advanced Revelation etc.

We have a number of limited site licenses ( upto but not exceeding
any 'n' concurrent users ) for various products and have an
obligation to those software vendors to provide the best protection
that we can.  A technique buried inside of PCNFS.SYS and PCNFSD would
be great.

I appreciate that adding features like this will increase the size of
PCNFS.SYS, but we are now getting to the stage where a majority of
our machines will be 386SX type or better and when PCNFS.SYS is
loaded hi there is still plenty of room for most applications.  May
be the next distribution could contain multiple versions of PCNFS.SYS
i.e. we don't use YP at all so any YP support code in PCNFS.SYS is
wasted in our case.

Printer Extensions.
======= ===========

We have already extended the NET USE for printers a little.  We use
the EaseSpool product from BKS and it uses the concept of queues
rather than printers.  It also implements forms.  so we extended the
syntax so that where printername was specified previously one now
specifies queuename[-formtype] e.g. sys1-labels.

Our biggest problem with printing is 'end-spooling' within
applications.  It would be great if in addition to the current
end-spool methods some of the others could be included e.g. whatever
Novell supports.  I appreciated that telling a package that a novell
network is being used to get printing working will probably break
some other part of the application because it tries to do something
that novell can do that pc-nfs can not.  May be the end-spool
technique out of one of the other more widely recognised networks may
be more appropriate.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,

"He (Jesus) was in the beginning with God.  All things came into
being by Him; and apart from Him nothing came into being that has
come into being.  In Him was life; and the life was the light of
men." John 1:2-4 (NASB)

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (09/12/90)

)
)It would be nice if one could say something like:
)NET USE LPT1: \\HOST\lp-p-m
)which would have the effect of pcnfsd issuing the command:
)lpr -Plp -p -m filename.

And it would be extremely nice if SUN distributed not only a SunOS/BSD
compatible rpc.pcnfsd.c, but also one compatible with System V, i.e.
one which calls lp instead of lpr. Then one could make such changes
oneself, even if one's printer host was running System V.
--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (09/19/90)

Quoth wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) (in <895@iiasa.UUCP>):
#And it would be extremely nice if SUN distributed not only a SunOS/BSD
#compatible rpc.pcnfsd.c, but also one compatible with System V, i.e.
#one which calls lp instead of lpr. Then one could make such changes
#oneself, even if one's printer host was running System V.

The latest version of the pcnfsd source which I distributed to
this group on 18 May 90 in article <1914@east.East.Sun.COM> included
System V support, as well as Glen's user cache, shadow password
file support, etc. Is it time to repost it?

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***