[comp.protocols.nfs] Use of LASTDRIVE= with NFS

mathieu@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Tom Mathieu) (10/10/90)

I can't seem to get the LASTDRIVE= parameter in my CONFIG.SYS file to be
recognized.  I'm running DOS 4.01 on a 486.  I'm hooked via thin ethernet
to a Sun and use PC-NFS 3.0.1.

I'm using QEMM's Manifest program to try and "tune" my PC.  It tells me
66 KB of RAM is in use by drives D through V.  I'm trying to reclaim  some
of that 66KB by setting my LASTDRIVE parameter to LASTDRIVE=M (hoping to
get back some RAM not used by drives N-V).  But, after I change LASTDRIVE
and reboot my PC, Manifest still reports 66KB in use by drives D-V.  Is this
failure to recognize the LASTDRIVE setting caused by NFS?  Is there a way
around it?  Thanks in advance.

Tom Mathieu
NCR Comten Inc.

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (10/11/90)

In article <627@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> mathieu@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Tom Mathieu) writes:
>I can't seem to get the LASTDRIVE= parameter in my CONFIG.SYS file to be
>66 KB of RAM is in use by drives D through V.  I'm trying to reclaim  some
>of that 66KB by setting my LASTDRIVE parameter to LASTDRIVE=M (hoping to
>get back some RAM not used by drives N-V).  But, after I change LASTDRIVE
>Tom Mathieu
>NCR Comten Inc.

Hey Tom, you probably won't be able to reclaim that memory.  You see, the
LASTDRIVE= option in your Config.Sys isn't there to allocate memory, it's
there to tell DOS to allow or not allow you to write on drives beyond a
certain point.  What you will find is that PC-NFS ACTUALLY uses ALL drives
thru Z... as I recall, the T:, U:, and V:, are reserved for LPT1:, LPT2:,
and LPT3:, and the W:, X:, Y:, and Z:, are reserved for COM1: thru COM4:.
OK?
I think the best that you can do is to push the PCNFS.SYS into high memory,
any of the others up high lock up your PC.
:)
Best of skill, Jim.