[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS SUN questions -- Summary of Answers

hhg1@GTE.COM (Hallett German) (10/08/90)

Thank you for your help. I got 4 responses and I am posting a summary of
these to help others in need.

1. Can you load PC.NFS.SYS and other drivers so it is (in) expanded or
   extended memory?
- All answers mentioned high memory area. 386Max and QEMM was mentioned.
  What to load seemed some difference of opinion. PCNFS.SYS was
consistently mentioned. A split on the NIC drivers. SOCKDRV.SYS either
freezes up the machine or is not useful in high mem.

2. Why can't PC-NFS run in the DOS compatibility box of OS/2? Is there
   a PC-NFS for OS/2?

   I never received an answer on the first question. It would be nice
   if this restriction goes away in OS/2 2.0. No OS/2 PC-NFS was
   reported to exist. If it works in the DOS compatibility box of 2.0,
   I am less likely to care about when an OS/2 version comes out.

3. Any hints on downloading fonts.
   - appears to work in theory but specifics have to be explored.
BMy comments on Mac NFS
   I was talking about Wollongong's which is hidden under some title
   like Pathway Client Mac NFS or something along those lines. It
   lists for $345 or thereabouts but was discounted to $1690 for ten
   copies. The ability to mount nfs volumes, the lpr command, and a
   system editor  (that converts between DOS, Mac, VMS, and UNIX text
   files) are real pluses. Minuses are no telnet or ftp (you can
   supplement it with NCSA telnet and Hyperftp.) I hope it will
   provide a low-end Mac-PC file sharing solution.

Again thanks  for your help
DHal German(hhg1@gte.com)

Hal German (hhg`
D    like Pathway Client Mac NFS. It ds
like Pathway Clie
4.

sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J Gerraty) (10/16/90)

In <9858@bunny.GTE.COM> hhg1@GTE.COM (Hallett German) writes:
>Thank you for your help. I got 4 responses and I am posting a summary of
>these to help others in need.
>[...]
>2. Why can't PC-NFS run in the DOS compatibility box of OS/2? Is there
>   a PC-NFS for OS/2?
>
>   I never received an answer on the first question. It would be nice
>   if this restriction goes away in OS/2 2.0. No OS/2 PC-NFS was

The answer is no.  Many folk will tell you that they have
installed DOS device drivers in the compatibility box and that
they worked...  If a device driver does polled I/O then yes it
will work.  Device drivers that catch interrupts however will
miss many interrupts (and data?) if used in the compatibility
box.

Interrupts can occur at any time (such as when the processor is
in protected mode and off running processes such as the OS/2
kernel).  During such times a interrupt service routine in the
DOS-box will miss interrupts.

The solution is to use an OS/2 device driver.  Both OS/2 and the
DOS box can use the OS/2 drivers without fear of losing
interrupts.
--
Simon J. Gerraty		<sjg@melb.bull.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer,_witty_comment>