[comp.protocols.nfs] Clarkson Packet Drivers & PC-NFS ?

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (10/16/90)

I picked up the Clarkson Packet Driver package for an application that
specifically uses them (WinQVT/net), and while reading TFM (amazing concept !)
a reference is made to a file @clarkson (which of course I could not find)
called:
	pcnfs.arc.Z (PC-NFS Packet Driver support)

Which of course leads me to the question(s)...
1) Is this special packet driver STILL necessary?
2) If so, where can I get it?
3) If not, is that because PC-NFS3.0.1 now "handles" the Packet Driver?
4) What is so special about the pc-nfs specific packet driver?

Additional question: (wrong newsgroup?)
Pc-nfs (or FTP software) drivers are loaded as device= while the CPD are
loaded in the autoexec ... how can the packet driver "get the packet first"?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

In article <1280@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com writes:

   I picked up the Clarkson Packet Driver package for an application
   that specifically uses them (WinQVT/net), and while reading TFM
   (amazing concept !)  a reference is made to a file @clarkson (which
   of course I could not find) called: 	pcnfs.arc.Z (PC-NFS Packet
   Driver support)

Now renamed to compat.tar.Z or compat.zip (same contents, different
packaging).

   Which of course leads me to the question(s)...
   1) Is this special packet driver STILL necessary?
I don't know.
   2) If so, where can I get it?
sun.soe.clarkson.edu:pub/ka9q/compat.... (as above)
   3) If not, is that because PC-NFS3.0.1 now "handles" the Packet Driver?
Oh, does it?  Well, people with older versions still need it.
   4) What is so special about the pc-nfs specific packet driver?
You can use Novell and PC-NFS at the same time, and you can boards for which
there is no PC-NFS support (i.e. the Racal Interlan NI6510, last time I knew).

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/17/90)

Quoth nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) (in <NELSON.90Oct16205616@image.clarkson.edu>):
#In article <1280@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com writes:
#
#   I picked up the Clarkson Packet Driver package for an application
#   that specifically uses them (WinQVT/net), and while reading TFM
#   (amazing concept !)  a reference is made to a file @clarkson (which
#   of course I could not find) called: 	pcnfs.arc.Z (PC-NFS Packet
#   Driver support)
#
#Now renamed to compat.tar.Z or compat.zip (same contents, different
#packaging).
#
#   Which of course leads me to the question(s)...
#   1) Is this special packet driver STILL necessary?
#I don't know.

Yes it is. And will be for the forseeable future.

#   2) If so, where can I get it?
#sun.soe.clarkson.edu:pub/ka9q/compat.... (as above)
#   3) If not, is that because PC-NFS3.0.1 now "handles" the Packet Driver?
#Oh, does it?  Well, people with older versions still need it.

No, PC-NFS does not "handle" the packet driver. PCNFS.SYS still
implements a proprietary interface to MAC drivers. (It's called the
LLDK interface, after our Link Level Driver Kit which many board
vendors have used to build PC-NFS drivers.) The compatibility kit
includes "glue" layers to allow PC-NFS to run over packet drivers or
NDIS drivers.

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/17/90)

Quoth leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com () (in <1280@travis.csd.harris.com>):
#Additional question: (wrong newsgroup?)
#Pc-nfs (or FTP software) drivers are loaded as device= while the CPD are
#loaded in the autoexec ... how can the packet driver "get the packet first"?

Can't speak for FTP, but I will for PC-NFS.

PKTD.SYS, the PC-NFS packet driver interface, is loaded first (from
CONFIG.SYS) but doesn't actualy do much at this time.  Your chosen
packet driver is then started from AUTOEXEC.BAT.  When you run the
first PC-NFS "NET" command, NET.EXE locates the PCNFS.SYS driver and
tells it to begin operation. (The successful conclusion of this is
signalled by the "[PC-NFS Installed]" message.)

As part of starting up, PCNFS.SYS scans the device chain looking for
the LLDK driver "NFSLINK1". (In the next release it will also accept a
driver named "NFSLINK$", which is a slightly more kosher name; a driver
so named is assumed to support certain extra features, including some
expanded logging for SNMP.) It records the address of the LLDK driver's
dispatch table, and then calls the driver initialization code. PKTD.SYS
then uses the standard algorithm described in the Packet Driver spec to
locate and hook in to the packet driver.  If no packet driver is
installed, PKTD.SYS installation fails, and so forth.

The compatibility kit includes almost all of the source code for
this stuff, so you can browse/hack it to your heart's content.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (10/17/90)

In article <1280@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com () writes:
>I picked up the Clarkson Packet Driver package for an application that
>specifically uses them (WinQVT/net), and while reading TFM (amazing concept !)
>a reference is made to a file @clarkson (which of course I could not find)
>called:
>	pcnfs.arc.Z (PC-NFS Packet Driver support)
>
>Which of course leads me to the question(s)...
>1) Is this special packet driver STILL necessary?

pcnfs.arc.Z (or nfs-kit,arc on clarkson) is the PD and NDIS drivers for
Sun's PC-NFS. So if you want to run Sun's PC-NFS on a packet or NDIS driver,
yes, you need it.

>2) If so, where can I get it?

sun.soe.clarkson.edu - file drivers.arc are the packet drivers. nfs-kit.arc
are the Sun pc-nfs drivers.

>4) What is so special about the pc-nfs specific packet driver?

They are not "pc-nfs" specific. Any software written to the packet driver
spec will run over the packet drivers. PC-NFS (Sun), PC/TCP (FTP's) and
WinQVT are three different programs that USE the packet drivers to
communicate with the ethernet card.

>Additional question: (wrong newsgroup?)
>Pc-nfs (or FTP software) drivers are loaded as device= while the CPD are
>loaded in the autoexec ... how can the packet driver "get the packet first"?

It calls the FM function (F^%&# Magic :-). A packet driver passes info via a
software interupt that is assigned when installing the packet driver (see
the drivers.doc file that comes with the packet drivers).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden