[comp.protocols.nfs] nfsping

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/15/90)

Quoth sjc@hao.ucar.edu (Steve Cariglia) (in <8781@ncar.ucar.edu>):
#What rpc daemon's does a server require in order to answer an nfsping
#successfully? My pc is running version 3.0.1 pc-nfs and the server I am trying
#to nfsping is running sunos 4.0.3 (the machine is a sun4).

NFSPING issues a null RPC call to the mount daemon on the target
system. Therefore you should get a reply if the system is an NFS
server. (Most systems only start the mount daemon if /etc/exports
is present.) NFSPING is actually a wrapper for
 "rpcinfo -u <target> <mountprog>"

Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

danielce@ecr.mu.oz.au (Daniel Ake Massimo Paolo Carosone) (10/18/90)

In article <2919@jaytee.East.Sun.COM>, geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
> NFSPING issues a null RPC call to the mount daemon on the target
> system. Therefore you should get a reply if the system is an NFS
> server. (Most systems only start the mount daemon if /etc/exports
> is present.) NFSPING is actually a wrapper for
>  "rpcinfo -u <target> <mountprog>"

Ah! This explains why a PC cannot NFSPING itself! This caused a great deal
of confusion and mess originally..