[comp.protocols.nfs] PCNFS Print Question

jduncan@viar.viar.COM (John Duncan) (10/24/90)

I'm new to this newsgroup, so please excuse if this is a recent topic.
We have a Sun SPARCstation serving as a fileserver to a small network of
PC's running PC-NFS.  A number of PC's are equipped with HP Laserjet printers.  We also have a Kinetics FastPath bridge to an Appletalk network running TOPS,
and a Zylogics Annex Terminal Server with 8 serial port connections.  The
TOPS network consists of about 10 Mac's and 4 Laserwriter Printers.

We are about to expand the network to 40 nodes (across two buildings), and
are trying to determine the best way to share printers.  Currently, we
can send Postscript output over the PC-NFS network to TOPS (running on
the SPARC) which spools the output to one of the TOPS printers, or we just
print to the Laserjets attached to the PCs.

Are the only OTHER options to:

	Attach a laserprinter to the SUN, or

	Attach serial printers to the Annex?

Is there any public domain software which will convert a PC to a PC-NFS
print server?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

John Duncan				uunet:	jduncan@viar.com
Sr. Systems Analyst
Viar & Company, Inc.

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (10/30/90)

In article <388@viar.viar.COM> jduncan@viar.viar.COM (John Duncan) writes:

>Are the only OTHER options to:
>
>	Attach a laserprinter to the SUN, or

Around here, we have a terminal server attached to the ethernet, and
a Laserwriter attached to that.  Of course the lpd code had to be
hacked to allow connections to telnet hosts.

>Is there any public domain software which will convert a PC to a PC-NFS
>print server?

FTP Software has an lpd program for the PC.  I believe the PC has to
be dedicated to this function.

                             Eric Pilger
				     Systems Programmer
				     NASA Infrared Telescope Facility