[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS 3.01, WD8003E and 386SX

angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (10/31/90)

Hello,
I have been using PC-NFS with 3C501 and WD8003E on XT and AT for a long
time without any special problem.
When it came to use it on 386SX, appeared one problem that I haven't been
able to solve.
3C501 works fine on 386SX, but WD8003E hangs PC-NFS on the first "net" command.
I think it's because of the shared memory.
My 386SX has 2MO of ram,and WD8003E allows you to map shared memory from
C4000 to FE0000 using the /m switch.
I tried many values from D0000 to D40000,etc.... It hangs each time and I need
to do a hard reset.
It looks like there is a conflict between Ram and WD8003E memory in this range.

Am I right ?
Did anybody meet that problem and solve it?

The 386SX in an AST BRAVO, with extended memory LIM 4.0, VGA screen.
Config.sys looks like :

device=pcnfs.sys
device=wd8003E /i3 /p280 /m(Whatever you want)
device=sockdrv.sys

Pierre Antoine ANGELINI (PAA)          ##
E-MAIL : angelini@irisa.fr             ##
IFSIC /IRISA                           ##
Atelier Micro
Universite de Rennes I
Campus de beaulieu
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE

In article <1990Oct30.170706.14930@irisa.fr> angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) writes:
>Hello,
>I have been using PC-NFS with 3C501 and WD8003E on XT and AT for a long
>time without any special problem.
>When it came to use it on 386SX, appeared one problem that I haven't been
>able to solve.
>3C501 works fine on 386SX, but WD8003E hangs PC-NFS on the first "net" command.
>I think it's because of the shared memory.
>My 386SX has 2MO of ram,and WD8003E allows you to map shared memory from
>C4000 to FE0000 using the /m switch.
>I tried many values from D0000 to D40000,etc.... It hangs each time and I need
>to do a hard reset.
>It looks like there is a conflict between Ram and WD8003E memory in this range.
>
>Am I right ?
>Did anybody meet that problem and solve it?
>
>The 386SX in an AST BRAVO, with extended memory LIM 4.0, VGA screen.
>Config.sys looks like :
>
>device=pcnfs.sys
>device=wd8003E /i3 /p280 /m(Whatever you want)
>device=sockdrv.sys

Thanks to Alex Kreis who told me to disable "shadow memory" ,for he had that
problem with two of his SX, but It wasn't that kind of problem for me.
I found this morning why.
My VGA board is a 16-bit board and was forcing all memory above A0000 to 16-bit mode.
Setting the board to 8-bit mode solved my problem.