[comp.protocols.nfs] What is Beame & Whiteside PC-NFS

banner@rupert.misemi ( pcuser) (11/02/90)

Can someone tell me what is Beame & Whiteside(sp.?)
PC-NFS ? Is it a new PC network NFS product or what ?

Email me details if possible, else post....

Thanks muchly.
Ross Bannerman       | This space for rent
MITEL Corp.          | ----------------------------
Kanata, Ont. Canada  | banner@mitel.com.uunet

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (11/02/90)

Quoth banner@rupert.misemi ( pcuser) (in <5130@rupert.misemi>):
#Can someone tell me what is Beame & Whiteside(sp.?)
#PC-NFS ? Is it a new PC network NFS product or what ?

Obligatory legal nit: PC-NFS is a registered trademark of
Sun Microsystems, Inc. The B&W product is, I believe, called
BW-NFS.

The X/Open term for a client implementation of NFS on a PC is
(PC)NFS.

Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

rickn@ontologic.UUCP (Rick Niziak) (11/03/90)

In article <5130@rupert.misemi>, banner@rupert.misemi ( pcuser) writes:
> Can someone tell me what is Beame & Whiteside(sp.?)
> PC-NFS ? Is it a new PC network NFS product or what ?
>

> Email me details if possible, else post....
>
> Thanks muchly.
> Ross Bannerman       | This space for rent
> MITEL Corp.          | ----------------------------
> Kanata, Ont. Canada  | banner@mitel.com.uunet

Essentially, BWNFS is a byproduct of Excelan NFS .. When Excelan was bought
out by NOVELL, Novell was not interested in NFS only NOVELL networks..
So Carl Beame in Canada I believe purchased the product.. The product
is GREAT.. Sun liked the peroduct so much that I believe that they had him
to do modifications to Sun's lock daemon for NFS purposes.. The product and
service are superlative.. Best of all the product is pretty cheap $195.00
(U.S. $$$) and works with many boards especially the Excelan 205T and 215T
these boards are great in that they store most of the NFS memory on the board
which leaves the 640K dos area pretty much untouched compared to Sun/NFS.
It also supports 3comm and Western Digital cards as well... Well worth the $$

Their address is:
        Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
        P.O. Box 8130
        Dundas, Ontario
        Canada
        L9H5E7
        Phone:  (416)648-6556
        Fax:    (416)648-6556

And by the way.. This product also works with Windows 3.0

Rick Niziak
Systems Manager
Ontologic Inc.
...uunet!uupsi!ontologic!rickn
rickn@ontologic.com
(617)272-7110

adelman@tgv.com (Kenneth Adelman) (11/03/90)

In article <825@ontologic.UUCP>, rickn@ontologic.UUCP (Rick Niziak) writes...
>In article <5130@rupert.misemi>, banner@rupert.misemi ( pcuser) writes:
>> Can someone tell me what is Beame & Whiteside(sp.?)
>> PC-NFS ? Is it a new PC network NFS product or what ?
>
>Essentially, BWNFS is a byproduct of Excelan NFS .. When Excelan was bought
>out by NOVELL, Novell was not interested in NFS only NOVELL networks..
>So Carl Beame in Canada I believe purchased the product

	Incorrect. Carl Beame is the genius being BWNFS. Excelan
licensed it from him to make their product (before the merger,
I believe).

						Kenneth Adelman
						TGV

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (11/04/90)

In article <825@ontologic.UUCP> rickn@ontologic.UUCP (Rick Niziak) writes:
>In article <5130@rupert.misemi>, banner@rupert.misemi ( pcuser) writes:
>> Can someone tell me what is Beame & Whiteside(sp.?)
>> PC-NFS ? Is it a new PC network NFS product or what ?
>>

>Essentially, BWNFS is a byproduct of Excelan NFS .. When Excelan was bought
>out by NOVELL, Novell was not interested in NFS only NOVELL networks..
>So Carl Beame in Canada I believe purchased the product.. The product
>is GREAT.. Sun liked the peroduct so much that I believe that they had him
>to do modifications to Sun's lock daemon for NFS purposes.. The product and
>service are superlative.. Best of all the product is pretty cheap $195.00
>(U.S. $$$) and works with many boards especially the Excelan 205T and 215T
>these boards are great in that they store most of the NFS memory on the board
>which leaves the 640K dos area pretty much untouched compared to Sun/NFS.
>It also supports 3comm and Western Digital cards as well... Well worth the $$
>
>Their address is:
>        Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
>        P.O. Box 8130
>        Dundas, Ontario
>        Canada
>        L9H5E7
>        Phone:  (416)648-6556
>        Fax:    (416)648-6556
>
>And by the way.. This product also works with Windows 3.0
>
>Rick Niziak
>Systems Manager
>Ontologic Inc.
>...uunet!uupsi!ontologic!rickn
>rickn@ontologic.com
>(617)272-7110

	Not Quite. BWNFS and BWNFS/EX were written by Me (Carl Beame). I was
asked to port BWNFS from our own TCP/IP to Excelan's (Novell's) LAN WorkPlace
for DOS. This porting resulted in the product BWNFS/EX which runs over the
LAN WorkPlace for DOS. The timeing of this product was occured just when
Novell bought out Excelan. If this had not occured there is the POSSIBILITY that
Excelan would have wanted to OEM BWNFS/EX. (No one will know for sure :-) ).

	I was not ask to nor did I make any modifications to Sun's lock daemon.
What I did do was write my own version of a lock daemon for DOS 3.1 laocking
and sharing which runs with BWNFS. The daemon is distributed in source and
can provide DOS 3.1 locking and sharing on machines which don't have Sun's
extentions to rpc.lockd.

- Carl Beame
President
Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.