[comp.protocols.nfs] NFS mounts

joe@astph.UUCP (Joe Broniszewski) (11/09/90)

I have two questions to ask.  First a little system info.
Machine:  386
OS:  386/ix running NFS over TCP/IP

Questions:

1.  Why do I get an error (mount: access denied for unix1:/) when
trying to mount machine 1's root directory?  Can I do this?

2.  Why can't I access (as root on machine 2) a file that has the following
permissions on machine 1:
drwx------   4 root      sys		100  Nov  8 1989 file

If I can't do both 1 & 2, how can I do a net-wide backup of our network?
Any/all help is appreciated!
--
  Joe  Broniszewski          || Philadelphia Phillies  ||   (814) 234-8592x34
  astph!joe@psuvax1.psu.edu  ||   Systems Department   ||   psuvax1!astph!joe

I'm assuming that 386/ix NFS configuration is similar to SunOS NFS configuration.

In article <60@astph.UUCP> joe@astph.UUCP (Joe Broniszewski) writes:

>1.  Why do I get an error (mount: access denied for unix1:/) when
>trying to mount machine 1's root directory?  Can I do this?

Check machine 1's /etc/exports file, and make sure it exports the root file
system.  Only exported file systems can be mounted by a client.  In SunOS
you can limit the clients that may mount a file system by specifying
-access=host1,host2,... in the export entry.

>2.  Why can't I access (as root on machine 2) a file that has the following
>permissions on machine 1:
>drwx------   4 root      sys		100  Nov  8 1989 file

By default, most NFS servers translate an incoming root userid (0) to an
unprivileged userid.  This provides a limited amount of security, as a user
who breaks into the root account on a workstation can't alter root-owned
files on the server.  In SunOS this is controlled by two options in the
/etc/exports file, "-root" and "-anon".  You can specify
-root=host1,host2,... to specify client hosts whose root shouldn't be
translated, or -anon=<userid> to specify the userid that root is translated
to (by default it is usually -2 or 32766, which is supposed to correspond
to the "nobody" user name, but -root=0 effectively turns off the
translation).

>If I can't do both 1 & 2, how can I do a net-wide backup of our network?

Make sure that the host doing the backup is allowed to mount the file
systems, and that root translation is disabled.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (11/09/90)

In <1990Nov8.225604.3036@Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

[a good article with one bug]

The hostnames in access lists in /etc/exports entries must actually be
separated by colons, as commas separate the different export options.
I've been bitten by this way too often.  So the actual syntax in Barry's
examples should be:

>-access=host1:host2,...
>-root=host1:host2,...

Rob T
--
Rob Thurlow, thurlow@convex.com or thurlow%convex.com@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
"This opinion was the only one available; I got here kind of late."