[comp.protocols.nfs] Enduring PC-NFS Annoyances

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (10/31/90)

From: A Dedicated User of PC-NFS
To: The Fine, Upstanding Programmers at Sun
Re: When Will It Be Fixed?

- Why do I, as often as not, have to use <Ctrl-Break> to unstick a
"net ypset *" and continue?

- When will I be able to open more than 6 Windows on my X server
software (eg. fix the socket overload bug AND provide more sockets)?

- Will you (or do you) get together with some of these people writing
X servers and help them optimize and debug their code (and yours?)
This would only further my commitment to PC-NFS.  If PC-NFS doesn't
keep up, I'll be forced to find a solution that does, as much as I
like what PC-NFS has to offer.

- Why is there such a stiff penalty for reads and writes on a socket
(order of 1/5 second of overhead?)  Is this the fault of using a DOS
device driver?  Would send() and rcv() be faster? (Note: rpc's display
none of this overhead.  Do they use send() and rcv()?)

P.S.  Keep up the good work.  I've always been quite happy with almost
all aspects of your product.  I certainly wouldn't be able to survive
today without it, and nobody else has all the features you provide,
YET.  They're catching upppp...

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (11/01/90)

In article <10083@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) writes:
>From: A Dedicated User of PC-NFS
>To: The Fine, Upstanding Programmers at Sun
>Re: When Will It Be Fixed?
>
>- Why do I, as often as not, have to use <Ctrl-Break> to unstick a
>"net ypset *" and continue?
>
>- When will I be able to open more than 6 Windows on my X server
>software (eg. fix the socket overload bug AND provide more sockets)?
>
>- Will you (or do you) get together with some of these people writing
>X servers and help them optimize and debug their code (and yours?)
>This would only further my commitment to PC-NFS.  If PC-NFS doesn't
>keep up, I'll be forced to find a solution that does, as much as I
>like what PC-NFS has to offer.
>
>- Why is there such a stiff penalty for reads and writes on a socket
>(order of 1/5 second of overhead?)  Is this the fault of using a DOS
>device driver?  Would send() and rcv() be faster? (Note: rpc's display
>none of this overhead.  Do they use send() and rcv()?)

Try Beame and Whiteside.

We're using it here.  It has the following nicities:

1)	It isn't serialized.  This isn't a license to cheat; rather, it's
	a way to keep control reasonable (do YOU want a filing cabinet full
	of 300 licenses and disks for same?!)

2)	It works with packet drivers out of the box.

3)	It's fast.

4)	It's solid, knows how to do printer redirection, and WORKS WITH
	WINDOWS 3, including printer support.  NO PHANTOM DRIVES and NO
	crashes!

5)	Coexists with QEMM for 590K free TPA under MSDOS (finally!)

6)	Knows what YP is and can use it.

7)	Avoids the nasty SUN rpc.lockd bugs if needed (or can be compatible
	with rpc.lockd, your choice on a drive-by-drive basis).

8)	Has available an INT14 redirector -- virtualize a terminal
	connection!  This is beautiful; net-aware terminal programs like
	Kermit can hit a host with "ATDT hostname" and the system will
	figure out what you need and get you there.  Works JUST like a
	hayes modem..... works through Telnet connections..... one of the
	best features in the package.

9)	Requires only ONE daemon for all systems if you want, or allows you
	to run many daemons and distribute authorization authority.

10)	Comes with a Telnet that knows what tn3270 is, and uses it if
	appropriate.

11)	Has lots of other nice things including, including ypcat, nslookup,
	traceroute (!) and a few others.

12)	MOST IMPORTANT:
	An author who is reachable and fixes things RIGHT NOW if they are
	even broken.  The support is absolutely A-1 grade.  That's something
	I'll never be able to say about Sun.

Try B&W NFS -- you'll like it.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.213006.12428@naitc.naitc.com> karl@bbs.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:

>1)	It isn't serialized.  This isn't a license to cheat; rather, it's
>	a way to keep control reasonable (do YOU want a filing cabinet full
>	of 300 licenses and disks for same?!)

SUN ... are you listening :-) ... if _you insist_ on serializing, then let me
suggest an alternative ... generic installation on all systems with a serial
number disk that is unique to that location.  This would allow us to
arc/zoo/zip a standard installation, and still let it have its own serial
number.

>2)	It works with packet drivers out of the box.

I'm currently running pc-nfs with packet drivers.

>4)	It's solid, knows how to do printer redirection, and WORKS WITH
>	WINDOWS 3, including printer support.  NO PHANTOM DRIVES and NO
>	crashes!

What's the status of the SUN talks with Microsoft on this? ...

>12)	MOST IMPORTANT:
>	An author who is reachable and fixes things RIGHT NOW if they are
>	even broken.  The support is absolutely A-1 grade.  That's something
>	I'll never be able to say about Sun.

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE with the reachable statement ... I had called his number
more than 5 times in the span of 2 weeks, leaving messages detailing that we
might be interested in 25+ copies of his stuff before he finally called back.

He did not respond to the email is sent to beame@mcmaster.ca (3-4 messages in
the span of a month, approximately 10 months ago) I sent ... I have
occasionally seen his postings here, so I know he is "alive & well".

I must also say that even though I get a better response TIME from the guys @
SUN, the responses ARE NOT what I want ... so it's a wash I guess.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (11/02/90)

Quoth leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (in <1430@travis.csd.harris.com>):
#In article <1990Oct31.213006.12428@naitc.naitc.com> karl@bbs.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:
#
#>1)	It isn't serialized.  This isn't a license to cheat; rather, it's
#>	a way to keep control reasonable (do YOU want a filing cabinet full
#>	of 300 licenses and disks for same?!)
#
#SUN ... are you listening :-) ... if _you insist_ on serializing, then let me
#suggest an alternative ... generic installation on all systems with a serial
#number disk that is unique to that location.  This would allow us to
#arc/zoo/zip a standard installation, and still let it have its own serial
#number.

I'm listening, I'm listening :-)

Most of our large customers buy right-to-copy (RTC) kits, in which
we sell them a set of diskettes and a serialization kit. They are
free to use this to manufacture multiple full kits, or (more
commonly) to create a serialized PCNFS.SYS for each system. The
downside: documentation must be purchased separately.

Here's the dilemma we face on distribution. The obvious, neat, whizzy
solution is to ship a PC-NFS server kit on a SPARCstation CD-ROM, let
users produce unserialized setup diskettes using their SPARCstation
floppy drives (or ship 'em with the kit), and do over-the wire setup.
You need only keep a few files on the PC; everything else can come off
the server. OK, if you really want you can download the whole
kit'n'caboodle to the PC hard disk. Your choice.

That's fine for Sun servers (and Solbourne, and Toshiba, and Tatung,
and Mars, and ... that's what ABI's are for, right?). The problem is,
how do I do all of that for non-Sun systems? Do I need a DECstation
server kit, and a MIPS kit, and an RS/6000 kit....? Do I have to
continue to offer both kinds of product packaging - self-contained kits
for PCs as well as server kits? As in any large company, we are always
under pressure to reduce the complexity of our pricing and minimise the
number of line items in the pricing book.  Plus I need in-house systems
to put any of this stuff through SQA. Anyone want to donate a
DECstation? (Just kidding.)

How about bootstrap protocols? "bootp" you all cry. Fine, except that
Sun uses the RPC-based "bootparams" for diskless workstations, and as
far as I know will continue to do so. We can expect any developments in
system management capabilities on Suns to reflect this. Should the
PC-NFS group strike off independently, requiring that we support bootp
on all Suns which serve PC-NFS clients? Saying that Sun should use
bootp instead of bootparams is not a constructive response...

#>2)	It works with packet drivers out of the box.
#
#I'm currently running pc-nfs with packet drivers.

I have no problem with people using the packet driver stuff I've passed
around. However Sun won't touch copylefted packet drivers with the
proverbial pole, and our SQA cannot certify PC-NFS with packet drivers
as a "supported configuration".  Whether or not I can include
unsupported software on our standard product media is a thorny question
that I've been reluctant to pose to the people who draft our licenses.

#
#>4)	It's solid, knows how to do printer redirection, and WORKS WITH
#>	WINDOWS 3, including printer support.  NO PHANTOM DRIVES and NO
#>	crashes!
#
#What's the status of the SUN talks with Microsoft on this? ...

Ongoing. Looking pretty good, actually.

The bottom line is that it's very hard for me to tell you all that you
want to know. Sun policy is very firm on this: I cannot discuss the
contents and release dates of unannounced products.  I can tell you
some of what we're thinking about long-term, with no dates,
commitments, or specifics. I'm not sure which is more frustrating:  a
user saying "X is broken: is Sun going to fix it and if so when?" or
me sitting here reading it, knowing that the fix is completed and
integrated into the code for the next release, and knowing when that
release is planned for, and not being able to tell you.  When that
happens, the only solution is to "play stresspill.au"  (which I
won't append, since it's 156K; it's that nice quote from 2001 where
HAL urges Dave to sit down and take a stress pill).

I promise you that I read every item posted to this group. I actually
have archives of all of it, which I should probably transfer to one
more more anonFTP sites at some point - the total is around 2.7MB.
(JBVB - do you want to archive it at FTP.COM?)

A few of you email questions directly to me. Some of these I answer,
some I pass on to our support staff, and some (I admit) I don't get
around to replying to. If you can post questions here, you're more
likely to get a response - if not from me, then from another PC-NFS
user, or from FTP, Wollongong, B&W, etc.!!!

Please remember, however, that comp.protocols.nfs is no substitute for
the Sun customer support service.  A useful adjunct, of course, but not
a substitute. If I pass on an email or posting about a bug to our
support staff, they are likely to contact you to ask for the Service
Order number you received when you called in to 1-800-USA-4SUN. If you
didn't call the bug in through the "correct" channels, it only wastes
people's time. [Yes, I know that some years ago the quality of Sun's
support was such that people felt justified in bypassing it where
possible.  These days, it works, and you should use it wherever
possible.]

(If all else fails, hang out on the middle section of Route 128 and
flag down any car with Mass. license "PC.NFS"....)

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (11/02/90)

PC-NFS may have its problems but it has successfully filled a need.

After recent discussions with the people from Sun ECD about PC-NFS,
(Interop 1990) it was clear that although there has been no apparent
improvements with the product in the recent past, Sun have not
forgotten about it.  There have been efforts to improve the product
and Sun appear to have a real commitment to it.

As a fairly large user of PC-NFS (400+), I am hopeful that Sun will
make some kind of announcement to give us an idea of:

-  what improvements they have been working on.
-  what bugs have been fixed.
-  etc.

As has already been mentioned, the competition ( B&W, FTP, TWG etc )
have not been sitting back idly watching the world go by.  Features
and facilities offered by these other products are making them more
attractive each day.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,

Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
Palmerston North, New Zealand.        EMail: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440, Fax: +64 63 505 607,    Timezone: GMT-12
12

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/02/90)

I've been happy with the Beame and Whiteside NFS client for PCs.  Both
performance and support.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (11/03/90)

In article <3160@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>Quoth leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (in <1430@travis.csd.harris.com>):
>Most of our large customers buy right-to-copy (RTC) kits, in which
>we sell them a set of diskettes and a serialization kit. They are
>free to use this to manufacture multiple full kits, or (more
>commonly) to create a serialized PCNFS.SYS for each system. The
>downside: documentation must be purchased separately.

What's large? ... we have ~50+ copies (and growing) ... but I never knew about
that option.  The documentation is not a problem ... nobody RTFM anyway :-)
(they come to me with questions).

>                                                     I can tell you
>some of what we're thinking about long-term, with no dates,

So are you going to make us beg? :-)

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (11/03/90)

Quoth leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (in <1448@travis.csd.harris.com>):
#In article <3160@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
#>Quoth leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (in <1430@travis.csd.harris.com>):
#>Most of our large customers buy right-to-copy (RTC) kits [...]
#
#What's large? ... we have ~50+ copies (and growing) ... but I never knew about
#that option.  The documentation is not a problem ... nobody RTFM anyway :-)
#(they come to me with questions).

I'm not going to post pricing'n'stuff over the net: call the Telemarketing
folks (1-800-334-SUNM) for details. I think the smallest RTC
is around 100 licenses, but I don't know where the break-points are,
nor the relative pricing of packaged units and RTCs.

#>                                                     I can tell you
#>some of what we're thinking about long-term, with no dates,
#
#So are you going to make us beg? :-)

Aargh! I need a stress pill...

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (11/04/90)

In article <NGA_09$@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>I've been happy with the Beame and Whiteside NFS client for PCs.  Both
>performance and support.

Make that two.  Someone here said they had trouble getting ahold of Carl
Beame to place an order.   Well, part of that is because I believe GSS (the
graphics X-windows PC people) are resellers, and he doesn't want to step on
their toes.

I have posted GSS's number before... and can do so again.  They will be
happy to sell you the product.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com
(708) 317-3285
Disclaimer:  Contents represent opinions of the author; I do not speak for
	     AC Nielsen on Usenet.

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (11/04/90)

>In article <3160@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>>Most of our large customers buy right-to-copy (RTC) kits, in which
>>we sell them a set of diskettes and a serialization kit. They are
>>free to use this to manufacture multiple full kits, or (more
>>commonly) to create a serialized PCNFS.SYS for each system. The
>>downside: documentation must be purchased separately.
>>some of what we're thinking about long-term, with no dates,

That doesn't help most of us.

You see, here's the classic problem:
1) You load PC/NFS on a machine, and give it a serial number.
2) The system crashes it's hard disk, losing the serialized copy.

Now, you have to have (1) the original diskettes, or (2) knowledge of which
copy was on that machine, or (3) you burn another copy (with the RTC kit).

If you don't do this, you end up with two that have the same serial number,
and they stop one another when they detect the "license violation".

Solution (1) requires a huge filing cabinet, and also requires that people
not trade machines (lots of organizations move gear DAILY), while (2) also
requires record keeping on exactly which system and disk drive belongs to
who at all times.  If you have several hundred users this is a REAL pain.

Copy protection came off most major packages years ago.  I feel it should
come off PC/NFS too.  It was a major negative factor during my evaluation of
the product; for a one or two copy system it wouldn't be bad, but for a
major installation (multiple hundreds) the record keeping requirements are
rediculous.

One of the first questions I ask is "is the package copyprotected" when I am
evaluating something that is going to be used by hundreds of people at an
organization.

--

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/04/90)

In article <3160@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>How about bootstrap protocols? "bootp" you all cry. Fine, except that
>Sun uses the RPC-based "bootparams" for diskless workstations, and as
>far as I know will continue to do so. We can expect any developments in
>system management capabilities on Suns to reflect this. Should the
>PC-NFS group strike off independently, requiring that we support bootp
>on all Suns which serve PC-NFS clients? Saying that Sun should use
>bootp instead of bootparams is not a constructive response...

Ok, I'll byte :-)

What does Sun propose to do to get rid of RARP then? I mean X terminals
can be booted through routers and Sun claims the X terminals are not
THE WAY. If they want my vote, then need to CAN RARP and use something
that will allow diskless workstations to be booted through routers.
BOOTP will do this. If bootparams can, fine. When will Sun start doing that?

Yes, yes. I know, Geoff. You just follow the lead of the boys on the west
coast on these issues. Their brilliant actions brought the wonderful
compatibility between PC-NFS and the SunOS 4.1 lock daemon, right?

I like PC-NFS, too. I look forward to its future and hope it can remain
a viable competitor. But, it needs to react to change (like NETBIOS support,
better interaction with printer protocols, and support for more modern
secuity mechanisms) more quickly or it will no longer be viable.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (11/05/90)

Quoth sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (in <2575@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>):
#I like PC-NFS, too. I look forward to its future and hope it can remain
#a viable competitor. But, it needs to react to change (like NETBIOS support,
#better interaction with printer protocols,

Clarification, please?

The PC-NFS printing model is, in essence, to get the print data onto the
server and then let PCNFSD worry about it.  Check out the last version
of PCNFSD I posted for an example of how to get rotated 2 column
output using a dedicated printer name. Or do you feel I should
burden the PC with direct "lpd" support?

Just curious.

Geoff

angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov04.001340.20629@naitc.naitc.com> karl@bbs.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>In article <3160@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>>>Most of our large customers buy right-to-copy (RTC) kits, in which
>>>we sell them a set of diskettes and a serialization kit. They are
>>>free to use this to manufacture multiple full kits, or (more
>>>commonly) to create a serialized PCNFS.SYS for each system. The
>>>downside: documentation must be purchased separately.
>>>some of what we're thinking about long-term, with no dates,
>
>That doesn't help most of us.
>
>You see, here's the classic problem:
>1) You load PC/NFS on a machine, and give it a serial number.
>2) The system crashes it's hard disk, losing the serialized copy.
>Solution (1) requires a huge filing cabinet, and also requires that people
>not trade machines (lots of organizations move gear DAILY), while (2) also
>requires record keeping on exactly which system and disk drive belongs to
>who at all times.  If you have several hundred users this is a REAL pain.
>
>One of the first questions I ask is "is the package copyprotected" when I am
>evaluating something that is going to be used by hundreds of people at an
>organization.

I agree with most of those complains. Though I'm using PCNFS for 4 years now,
I would prefer a non-serialized product.

PC-NFS is used by 1600 students on PC's with NO hard disk.
I found a way to deal with the "Licence violation detection ...." problem,
because I had to.

Here's my solution for those of you wishing to use PCNFS without that
serialisation problem.It requires a bit of work, it's NOT a real solution,
but it works very fine.

First, take out each serial number of PCNFS.SYS with a small pascal program.
It's very simple, even a type on PCNFS.SYS will show that number.
Then load that number into an EPROM (2716,2732,2764) .
Plug that Eprom in a network board with an optional "bootprom" socket.
( I have tried it with a 3C501,3C503,NIC,WD8003EBT). Set the EPROM address
correctly( C800 for me, depends on your configuration)

Give to the user a PCNFS.SYS where the serial number is anything,but a correct
number ( for example PCNFS.SYS from the 3.01 upgrade ).
When you boot, the serial number is verified by the first NET command issued.

All you have to do is to write a small program finding XXXXXXX in memory (
it's very fast, and always in the same place for my students) and replace
it by the right number that you will find in the EPROM. Launch it before
the first net command.

Avantages:
-The serial number is "machine dependant" and will stay so, even
if there is a hard disk. Even if people trade,move their machine, it will work.
If they crash their hard disk too.
-Upgrades are simple. I moved with no problem from 2 to 3 and 3.01.
-You just have to keep trace of your ethernet board.
My /etc/ethers table on NIS server has a field containing the serial numbers
( just in case.....) as ethernet number and serial number are attached to
the same board.

Question :
(To avoid that kind of "turnaround")
Would it be VERY difficult to have something using "the floating license"
service used on Sun workstation to "serve" PCNFS serial number ???

Disavantages:
-You have to spend some time (let say 5 mn per PC) to initiate
the EPROM and plug it in the network board.
-You have to have an EPROM
programmer and to know how to use it. A 2732 cost actually about 5$.
-I hope SUN will not change anything about that in the next release, but
to switch to unserialised product !!!!

It's working perfectly on XT,AT,386 in a +100 PC's network for 4 years now.
That's one PC-NFS default I don't have to deal with anymore.

I red with interest all the complains about PC-NFS. Most of them are justified,
Sun isn't doing as well as his competitors today, but I would like to thank
Geoff who is caught between the hammer and the anvil.
Thanks for your help, Geoff and keep on that way.
I hope Sun will be able to make the PCNFS that will allow you to put your
(big) stress pillbox in the trash....

By the way, any info on next release is welcome ( I just couldn't resist..)

Pierre Antoine ANGELINI (PAA)          ##
E-MAIL : angelini@irisa.fr             ##
IFSIC /IRISA                           ##
Atelier Micro
Universite de Rennes I
Campus de beaulieu
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/06/90)

In article <3196@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>Clarification, please?

Sure. I am talking more about it from the MS/DOS application point of view.
It needs to be more like the printer attached to a PC-LAN. Right now, most
of my users have to go an extra step to print via PCNFS (hot key, or enter
net print to insure that PCNFSD "heard" that there was stuff to print). A
few use the "program exit" and timeout features, but more would rather is
just acted like a printer attached to their PC.

BSD lpr support might get around this, but then again it might not.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine. Baylor College of Medicine

G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (11/06/90)

I am not sure what Stan had in mind with his comment about printer
protocols but one gripe I regularly get from my users is better
control of the 'End-Spooling'.

A technique used in BW-NFS, I think, is the use of the
'print-to-file' option in the application.  Using well-defined names
the application is setup to print to a special filename.  When the
open() is done the software begins the capture process and when the
close() is done the data captured is spooled to the appropriate
network device.  I see this as a very useful alternative to the
techniques currently being used by PC-NFS.  It would certainly solve
many of my user's woes.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
Palmerston North, New Zealand.        EMail: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440, Fax: +64 63 505 607,    Timezone: GMT-12
12

Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
Palmerston North, New Zealand.        EMail: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440, Fax: +64 63 505 607,    Timezone: GMT-12
12

leifur@falcon.is (leifur) (11/12/90)

Being an overseas customer (and therefore unable to dial 800 numbers :-)
I hope someone here can answer my question. When using CHCP to change
codepages, I have to respond to an "Abort Retry, Ignore" for every socket
on startup. Is there a fix for this (admittedly
minor) annoyance?

Regards, Leifur

sab@sio20.uio.no (Stein-Aksel Basma) (11/13/90)

The simple fix to this is to avoid using CHCP, and use MODE CON CP SEL instead.

-sab
--

"Life may have no meaning -- or even worse, it may have a meaning of
which I disapprove."

Stein-Aksel Basma		sab@sio20.uio.no
Tech.Support
SiO-Data