[comp.protocols.nfs] NFS for $'s or RFS for free

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (11/28/90)

We have two boxes connected via Ethernet.

One has SVR3 and one SVR4.

RFS comes standard with both SVR3 and SVR4.

We have no need to talk to any other boxes i.e. DEC etc.

Will RFS do the job or should we purchase NFS.

My understanding so far is that RFS and NFS do basically
the same job but that NFS is much more widely supported
on different platforms i.e. DEC, SUN etc.

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Myer Ltd, PO Box 2000 Tooronga 3146, Australia     >>

dale@wucs1.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (12/01/90)

I am using RFS right now with SVR3.2.2. It works fine for sharing
files. Can also share devices. (with some limitations)

Problems I have with RFS.

I'm using it in a student lab (24 hour access) on 24 386 boxes. The
students treat the machines like DOS boxes i.e. if they get hung up
they reset the machine (UGHHHHH!!!!). RFS is not stateless. It maintains
a connection list on each machine advertising (exporting) a service.
RFS (over TCP/IP) does not detect the broken connection caused by
the reset on the remote machine. When the remote machine reboots and
remounts the resource it makes a new entry in the table. Enough of these
and the table fills. Machines can't then remount resources.
  Because of this table you can only have x number of machines connected
to a server machine. (NOTE: Each mounted resource counts as a seperate
connection in this table i.e. if your table has 50 entries you can have
50 machines mount 1 resource or 10 machines mount 5 resources, etc.)

My response:
 If your machines are closely held ( the machines can't be rebooted
easily) and the number of mounts needed is not large RFS should work
OK. I'm switching my lab to NFS during winter break because of both
reasons.

Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (12/01/90)

In <1138@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel
Harwood) writes:

>We have two boxes connected via Ethernet.
>One has SVR3 and one SVR4.
>RFS comes standard with both SVR3 and SVR4.
>We have no need to talk to any other boxes i.e. DEC etc.

>Will RFS do the job or should we purchase NFS?

RFS will do the job - you will even be able to use tape devices etc from the
remotely mounted machine and have its tape unit work for you. RFS is providing
full UNIX filesystem semantics, including FIFOs, devices etc.

NFS however provides only the file bits of UNIX filesystem semantics, and that
in a slightly generalised form. You get a few significant benefits, such as
the clients surviving and not really noticing server crashes: RFS server
crashes will imply some resetting of its client, though I don't know exactly
what.

Two machines and no growth: it would certainly be hard to justify buying NFS.
More than two machine and growth prospects: it would be hard to justify the
support cost implications of the rebooting problems associated with RFS, when
NFS is so cheap...

--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP