[comp.protocols.nfs] Help with Windows 3.0 on PCNFS and how to disable PCNFS disk letters?

pentch@milton.u.washington.edu (Dean Pentcheff) (12/03/90)

I can't successfully run Windows 3.0 on a PC when the windows core
programs are loaded on an NFS server.  Since NFS is not listed in the
supported networks, I did the setup without specifying a network type.
Windows is a bit too clever, though: it can tell that I'm using network
drives once I've set it all up locally on a PC (to say nothing of
crashing when I run off a network drive).  Should I specify a network?
If so, which one?  If not, does anyone know how to get Windows running
on PCNFS?

Here's a second question: once Windows is running, it gets very upset
about the unmounted disk drive letters (not unreasonable, really).  I
seem to remember that a program to mark them as unavailable came over
this group some time ago.  Could someone refresh my memory?

Thanks.

-Dean

--
Dean Pentcheff  (pentch@u.washington.edu)
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley CA 94720

kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) (12/03/90)

pentch@milton.u.washington.edu (Dean Pentcheff) writes:

[..trying to get Win 3.0 working on a network drive deleted...]

If you can get it working I'd sure like to hear about what you did to
make it happen. I've been trying to install it for some time now on some
diskless 386 machines and am running into the same problem.

>Here's a second question: once Windows is running, it gets very upset
>about the unmounted disk drive letters (not unreasonable, really).  I
>seem to remember that a program to mark them as unavailable came over
>this group some time ago.  Could someone refresh my memory?

I have got it to work (very nicely I might add) on a local disk on one
of our 386 machines. To designate the drive as invalid just ftp
win3-nfs.zip from cica.cica.indiana.edu and run the exe file in your
windows batch file or in your autoexec.bat.
--
 KSU Dept. of Mathematics               email: kxb@hilbert.math.ksu.edu
 Manhattan, Kansas 66506                voice: (913)532-6750