[comp.protocols.nfs] FTP TCP/IP+NFS - SCO - rmdir problem

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) (11/17/90)

I have a problem with the PCTCP/IP NFS software from FTP (idrive 1.02)
running on a MSDOS 3.2 machine. When I mount a filesystem from a Compaq
systempro running SCO Unix 3.2.1 with Lachman TCP/IP NFS I can't remove
a directory created on a NFS-drive mounted from the systempro on the
MSDOS machine. I have mounted as user nobody and the directory has
permissions set to drwxrwxrwx. I am able to remove ordinary files!
Also 'copy con file' doesn't seem to work on a network drive.

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) (11/21/90)

In SCO's NFS Question and Answer sheet that I picked up from SCO last
week at Comdex, it said the SCO UNIX doesn't have the host software
needed to support PC-NFS.  I have a network of DOS-based PC's on which
I would like to NFS mount SCO directories.

What specific solutions have people found for the SCO UNIX host side?
 ... and what NFS software are you using on the DOS side?

I will summarize if there are enough replies/interest.

Michael Herman
uunet!utcsri!alias!mherman

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov21.122633.16277@alias.uucp> mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
>In SCO's NFS Question and Answer sheet that I picked up from SCO last
>week at Comdex, it said the SCO UNIX doesn't have the host software
>needed to support PC-NFS.  I have a network of DOS-based PC's on which
>I would like to NFS mount SCO directories.
>
>What specific solutions have people found for the SCO UNIX host side?
> ... and what NFS software are you using on the DOS side?
>
>I will summarize if there are enough replies/interest.
>
>Michael Herman
>uunet!utcsri!alias!mherman

 BWNFS from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. comes with (when requested)
the source and executable for a Daemon which supports Authentication,
printing, DOS 3.1 Locking and Sharing for SCO Unix. BWNFSD does not support
PC-NFS from Sun, just BWNFS. (Sorry that should read PC-NFS does not support
BWNFSD).

- Carl Beame
President
Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
beame@McMaster.CA
(416) 648-6556

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (11/27/90)

In article <27501638.27050@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) writes:

>  BWNFS from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. comes with (when requested)
> the source and executable for a Daemon which supports Authentication,
> printing, DOS 3.1 Locking and Sharing for SCO Unix. BWNFSD does not support
> PC-NFS from Sun, just BWNFS. (Sorry that should read PC-NFS does not support
> BWNFSD).

Hmmm.  Can a Sun workstation then run BOTH daemons simultaneously, and publish
the same volume?  We'll soon start experimenting with PC-NFS, but we like some
of the features of BW-NFS.  If both animals can exist on the same server,
then we'll be quite satisfied.

Eric

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (11/27/90)

Quoth ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (in <17576@hydra.gatech.EDU>):
#In article <27501638.27050@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) writes:
#>
#>  BWNFS from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. comes with (when requested)
#> the source and executable for a Daemon which supports Authentication,
#> printing, DOS 3.1 Locking and Sharing for SCO Unix. BWNFSD does not support
#> PC-NFS from Sun, just BWNFS. (Sorry that should read PC-NFS does not support
#> BWNFSD).

Or BSNFS does not support PCNFSD?

#Hmmm.  Can a Sun workstation then run BOTH daemons simultaneously, and publish
#the same volume?

And better still, why should we need to? Carl: how about posting the
source and .x files for BWNFSD so that we can think about rationalizing
things? As you may remember, I solicited input for the next rev of
PCNFSD, and convergence would seem to be in everyone's interest...
-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) (11/27/90)

>Date: 27 Nov 90 13:06:54 GMT

>And better still, why should we need to? Carl: how about posting the
>source and .x files for BWNFSD so that we can think about rationalizing
>things? As you may remember, I solicited input for the next rev of
>PCNFSD, and convergence would seem to be in everyone's interest...

Yes, don't leave us with lots of different versions of a vital thing
like PCNFSD/BWNFSD with lots of hassle to maintain and support. What
made worldwide networking possible is standards and willingness to
confirm to standards

    ///////  //  //   Peter Hausken, University of Oslo
   //   //  //  //    PB. 1059, Blindern, N-0316 OSLO 3, Norway
  ///////  //////     Voice: +47-2-453524 Fax: +47-2-455770
 //       //  //      Internet: Peter.Hausken@USE.UiO.NO  (peterh@ifi.uio.no)
//       //  //       X.400 SA: G=Peter;S=Hausken;OU=USE;O=UiO;P=UNINETT;C=NO

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (12/01/90)

In article <3443@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>And better still, why should we need to? Carl: how about posting the
>source and .x files for BWNFSD so that we can think about rationalizing
>things? As you may remember, I solicited input for the next rev of
>PCNFSD, and convergence would seem to be in everyone's interest...
>-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
>   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
>   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
>   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

 Geoff,
	When I get back from my trip to sunny southern California, I will
post the SOUrce and .x file for BWNFSD.

	- Carl Beame

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (12/04/90)

In article <17576@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>In article <27501638.27050@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) writes:
>>
>>  BWNFS from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. comes with (when requested)
>> the source and executable for a Daemon which supports Authentication,
>> printing, DOS 3.1 Locking and Sharing for SCO Unix. BWNFSD does not support
>> PC-NFS from Sun, just BWNFS. (Sorry that should read PC-NFS does not support
>> BWNFSD).
>>
>Hmmm.  Can a Sun workstation then run BOTH daemons simultaneously, and publish
>the same volume?  We'll soon start experimenting with PC-NFS, but we like some
>of the features of BW-NFS.  If both animals can exist on the same server,
>then we'll be quite satisfied.
>
>Eric

It seems to work; we're doing exactly that here.

BWNFS can work with PCNFSD, but you don't want it to.  Use Beame's daemon.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com