[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS & WP 5.1 save on SunOS 4.1

rpage@matrox.com (Real Page) (11/29/90)

I use PC-NFS 3.01 with WP 5.1 since about 1 year without major problem
with a Sun 3/60 server running 4.0.

I used to mount the drive with the "/sh" option to enable locking.

Last week-end, we upgraded to SunOS 4.1, and since then I have lots of
problem with file access.

At first, some files looked to WP 5.1 as read only.  I removed the "/sh"
option of the mount and that seems to correct the problem.

But today, I got an "access denied" when saving a file.  After 2 minutes
of "beep" I was able to save the text to a local drive (even to the network
drive) using another name.

In the meantime, I lost the content of the subdocument that formed the
original file because they have 0 byte length.

Do this seems familiar to somebody?

Real Page
rpage!matrox

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.220721.6777@pandora.matrox.com> rpage@matrox.com (Real Page) writes:
>I use PC-NFS 3.01 with WP 5.1 since about 1 year without major problem
>with a Sun 3/60 server running 4.0.
>
>I used to mount the drive with the "/sh" option to enable locking.
>
>Last week-end, we upgraded to SunOS 4.1, and since then I have lots of
>problem with file access.

Wasn't there some bug fix to rpc.lockd for 4.1?  I recall fixing a
routine that somewhere that wasn't actively returning a value.  This
was alright under 4.0, but I was told it would bomb under 4.1.  I
can't recall which program it was now.  It was either lockd, pcnfsd or
popd.  Is there not also an upgraded version of lockd that was sent
over the net a short while back?

				Eric Pilger
				Systems Programmer
				NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

fbraab@leuze.UUCP (Fritz B. Raab) (12/02/90)

rpage@matrox.com (Real Page) writes:

>I use PC-NFS 3.01 with WP 5.1 since about 1 year without major problem
>with a Sun 3/60 server running 4.0.

>I used to mount the drive with the "/sh" option to enable locking.

>Last week-end, we upgraded to SunOS 4.1, and since then I have lots of
>problem with file access.

We had more often than once problems with the rpc.lockd.

I suggest to use the old version of rpc.lockd, where you had no problems.

We have similar effects with PC-CAD software on SunOS 4.0.3.
When I tried to upgrade 4.0.3 with a rpc.lockd patch I got read-only and
sharing problems too.

The use of /sh option means that you use the lockd for dealing with multiple
access to a file. If you don't use /sh you will get problems if more than one
process wants to access your file at once.
But don't use /ms. When your server dies and comes up again, nobody will be
ables to save any file anymore, most PC - programs hang under that condition,
they will have to reboot, although a unmount and remount would be sufficiant.

Regards, Fritz
--
 (-%   Fritz B. Raab                 # email: fbraab@leuze-owen.de          %-)
 (-%   Leuze electronic, Abt. TDV    # voice: +49 7021 573185 fax: 573200   %-)

rpage@matrox.com (Real Page) (12/04/90)

We got the patch 100075-05 from Sun, and I still have problem.

I do not use the /sh option anymore.

I tried to load the file and immediately saved it, it worked, but after
a some edition, I can't save it any more.  I get plenty of beep
(normaly, I reboot), the error message is ACCESS DENIED and the files
are truncated to 0 bytes.

My next move is to move the files to my local drives and forget about
the network drive...

Real Page
rpage!matrox.com

rpage@matrox.com (Real Page) (12/04/90)

I finally found the culprit !

When I move my files to a local drive, I experienced the save symptoms
ERROR: Access Denied.

I remove the PC-NFS drivers, reboot and still the same problem.

It was WP 5.1 that has a bug that showed up after editing a table.
Finally I was able to make the edit and save the file by using a different
method to do the change on the table.

When I have more time, I will try to use the /sh option on the network
drive to see if the [read only] problem reappear with the Sun Patch.

Real Page
rpage!matrox.com