[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS, PKTD.SYS & 3C503 won't cooperate, help!

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (12/28/90)

	Hello!

	We're having a problem interfacing the packet driver from PC-NFS!
I've installed the packet driver compatibility kit earlier submitted to the
net just like the manual page describes.  I'm using a 3C503 card and the
NCSA utilities run just fine.  The problem is: when PC-NFS sends out an ARP
request it uses an ethernet address of 0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0 as the source
address instead of the in-PROM one.  The sought host answers to this faulty
address, but that's the last thing that happens. Now PC-NFS is stuck! I've
tried to hardcode the ethernet address using PC-NFS' ARP command and the
arpbypass program on my unix host.  Now, things looks nicer in an IP package
capture, but the PC won't answer the PROMed address either! Sigh!!  There is
a program called myeaddr in the PC-NFS distribution which correctly returns
the REAL ethernet address, but I suppose that utility bypasses the packet
driver.  What are we doing wrong here?  Geoff, are you listening?  Please,
help us! BTW, what are the standard way to do an ethernet broadcast?  Sending
to 0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0 or 0xff.0xff.0xff.0xff.0xff.0xff?  We seem to have
both models in use on our heterogenous network.  Can one trust all ethernet
nodes to listen to BOTH of these addresses?

					Thanx in advance
					Niklas

--
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/29/90)

In article <1225@appli.se> niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes:

>	Hello!
>
>	We're having a problem interfacing the packet driver from PC-NFS!
>I've installed the packet driver compatibility kit earlier submitted to the
>net just like the manual page describes.  I'm using a 3C503 card and the
>NCSA utilities run just fine.  The problem is: when PC-NFS sends out an ARP
>request it uses an ethernet address of 0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0.0x0 as the source

Congrats! You've found THE bug in an OLD copy! :-)

The fixed version is on sun.soe.clarkson.edu in directory /pub/ka9q as
compat.tar.Z and/or compat.zip.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden