[comp.protocols.nfs] PCNFS Mail alerting you to new mail

frankh@durin.sparta.COM (Frank Halsema) (12/29/90)

Is there a biff type program for PCNFS that will alert the user to new
mail with a tone and keep it up every few minutes until he picks
it up. Thanks

--
Frank Halsema                           UUCP: durin!frankh
SPARTA, Inc.                   		Internet: frankh@durin.sparta.com

magoo@pvi.UUCP (Tim Lentz x255) (12/30/90)

In article <4805@durin.sparta.COM> frankh@durin.sparta.COM (Frank Halsema) writes:

>Is there a biff type program for PCNFS that will alert the user to new
>mail with a tone and keep it up every few minutes until he picks
>it up. Thanks

If you use the default SMTP server on the unix host then the answer is
YES. The SMTP client causes mail to pop a very nice dialog box
informing you of new mail. It sounds like you are using the POP server
which is also included with the distribution. The POP client doesn't
pop the dialog box. We use POP because the dialog box trashed the screen
when using XEROX Ventura Publisher. SMTP worked fine with all other applications
including MS Word. POP also works better for us in the way it delivers the
mail. SMTP treats your PC as a separate node. To read mail at your PC, the mail
must be addressed to you@yourpc. If your PC is turned off the mail sits in a
queue on the server until either the PC comes back on the net or a timeout
value is reched. SMTP also brings all mail to the local disk. POP leaves
it on the server if requested which is nice if you read your mail on unix hosts
along with your PC.

I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe the above is correct.
Hope this helps.
--
boulder!pvi!magoo				Just a fool waiting on the wrong