[comp.protocols.nfs] PC Lifeline Mail with SunOS 4.1

gbass@zeus.dnet.ge.com (Jerry Bass) (12/26/90)

I would appreciate some help.

I am trying to get Sun's PC Lifeline mail program to play properly with a
POP2 server on our Sparc 1+.  PC-NFS is running properly on a Zenith Z-386/20
but I get errors from Lifeline when it trys to read mail from the server.

When I launch Lifeline, it properly tells me that new mail exists on the mail-
server and to press 'N' to retrieve it.  When I do this, it returns with
error LL101W  "Unable to log into server."  As the message screen suggested,
I verified that the passwords on the PC corresponds with the password on the
Sun.  The manual gives no addition help.

If I try to read mail from a Sun account having no password (its just a test),
I get a different error, LL105W "Protocol error detected."

I'm stumped!  On the PC we are running DOS 4.0, PC-NFS V. 3.0.1, and Lifeline.
The Sparc is running SunOS 4.1 and the POP server as supplied with Lifeline.

BTW, I can properly send mail from the PC to the Sun...go figure.

			Thanks,

Jerry Bass				Internet:  gbass@zeus.dnet.ge.com
GE Aerospace
Burlington, Mass   USA			Don't quote me...

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (12/30/90)

gbass@zeus.dnet.ge.com (Jerry Bass) writes:
>I would appreciate some help.

>I am trying to get Sun's PC Lifeline mail program to play properly with a
>POP2 server on our Sparc 1+.  PC-NFS is running properly on a Zenith Z-386/20
>but I get errors from Lifeline when it trys to read mail from the server.

>When I launch Lifeline, it properly tells me that new mail exists on the mail-
>server and to press 'N' to retrieve it.  When I do this, it returns with
>error LL101W  "Unable to log into server."  As the message screen suggested,
>I verified that the passwords on the PC corresponds with the password on the
>Sun.  The manual gives no addition help.
[some lines deleted]

When we upgraded our machines to 4.1 our pop server died... I believe,
Sun changed the way the c compiler handles the 'return'
statement [ofcourse, without documenting it :-(]

Here is the diff indicating the changes we made to get the popdaemon to work:

1,7d0
< /* AMD changes by T.Z. Chiu July 15, 1990
<  * changed #define MAILDIR "/usr/spool/mail/" to "/var/spool/mail/"
<  * added return (0) to end of check_user function
<  * added return     to end of closeit    function
<  * added return (0) to end of outmsg     function
<  * added return (0) to end of net_out    function
<  */
167c160
< #define	MAILDIR "/var/spool/mail/"
---