[net.followup] Who is Emily Harris?

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (12/10/85)

Lots of people are wondering "Who is Emily Harris?".  She is a northern
California folk hero from the Seventies.  Back then, a band of outlaws
made war against Pacific Telephone, Pacific Gas & Electric, Bank of America,
and other giant corporations.  They extorted over a million dollars from
the rich and gave it all to the poor.  Eventually, most of them died in
Los Angeles when the police trapped them in a house and set it on fire.

Surviving members of the group are Russell Little and Joseph Remiro (both
still in jail), Bill Harris (Emily's ex-husband), Wendy Yoshimura, and
of course Patty Hearst.

Mark Thorson  (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (12/12/85)

In article <340@weitek.UUCP>, mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
> Lots of people are wondering "Who is Emily Harris?".  She is a northern
> California folk hero from the Seventies.  Back then, a band of outlaws
> made war against Pacific Telephone, Pacific Gas & Electric, Bank of America,
> and other giant corporations.  They extorted over a million dollars from
> the rich and gave it all to the poor.  Eventually, most of them died in
> Los Angeles when the police trapped them in a house and set it on fire.
>
> Surviving members of the group are Russell Little and Joseph Remiro (both
> still in jail), Bill Harris (Emily's ex-husband), Wendy Yoshimura, and
> of course Patty Hearst.

     He refers, of course, to the SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army).  I find
it extremely difficult to think of any of these people as "folk heros", as it
was apparent at the time that the only folk they were interested in were
themselves.  Any group that can find no means of expressing their politics
other than murder, rape, kidnapping, robbery and extortion deserves contempt,
not adulation.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (12/12/85)

In article <340@weitek.UUCP>, mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
> Lots of people are wondering "Who is Emily Harris?".  She is a northern
> California folk hero from the Seventies.  Back then, a band of outlaws
> made war against Pacific Telephone, Pacific Gas & Electric, Bank of America,
> and other giant corporations.  They extorted over a million dollars from
> the rich and gave it all to the poor...

Well,isn't that just wonderful! What "heros" (:-X). Took from the rich
and gave to the poor! And such Baa Baaad corporations. Boy, we would
all be so much better off if somebody just blew up every company worth
more than, say, $1 million dollars. :-), then took all the assetsof everyone
who had any and redistributed them to every person equal. Sure would
make this a great place to live! :-)   By the way, have you taken any
vacation trips to Russia lately? I heard the amenities are great this
time of year, if you can find any...

                                                 David A. Pearlman

randy@xanth.UUCP (Randys Account) (12/13/85)

> Lots of people are wondering "Who is Emily Harris?".  She is a northern
> California folk hero from the Seventies.  Back then, a band of outlaws
	     ^^^^^^^^^
Try vicious terrorist criminals for a more accurate description.

> made war against Pacific Telephone, Pacific Gas & Electric, Bank of America,
> and other giant corporations.  They extorted over a million dollars from
> the rich and gave it all to the poor.
	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Having followed their exploits in the news, I don't recall them giving any
money to the poor, much less all of it.  However I am willing to be corrected
on this one, given references.

>                                       Eventually, most of them died in
> Los Angeles when the police trapped them in a house and set it on fire.
Of course, had they surrendered instead of fighting to the death, they could
still be alive today.  Their death was their choice.

> Surviving members of the group are Russell Little and Joseph Remiro (both
> still in jail), Bill Harris (Emily's ex-husband), Wendy Yoshimura, and
> of course Patty Hearst.
Who of course was kidnapped and brainwashed and later rejected the group.

Doesn't this sort of thing belong in net.jokes? :-)
--

cbosgd|-------------!fortune!xanth!randy               (Randy Horton)
ihnp4 |  allegra|           \

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Alpha Carinae) (12/14/85)

> Lots of people are wondering "Who is Emily Harris?".  She is a northern
> California folk hero from the Seventies.  Back then, a band of outlaws
> made war against Pacific Telephone, Pacific Gas & Electric, Bank of America,
> and other giant corporations.

  Folk Hero?  Band of outlaws?  These guys were brutal!  The PLO could
  take lessons from them!  This group of outlaws, otherwise known as
  the Symbionese Liberation Army, were nothing more than Manson-like
  followers of escaped convict Robert DeFreeze, also known as "Cinque".

  Their greatest claim to fame is the asassination of the Oakland
  Superintendent of Schools with cyanide-laced bullets, and their
  kidnapping of Patty Hearst.  The kidnapping I remember very well,
  since I lived just behind the Hearst residence on the night it
  happened.  Her then boyfriend, Steve Weed, was a classmate of
  mine.  He would hardly call them "folk heroes"; they beat the
  living shit out of him.

  [I think you may be mistaking this group for the SDS (Students for a
  Democratic Society), who did make war against the companies you
  mentioned, by bombing them.]

> They extorted over a million dollars from
> the rich and gave it all to the poor.

  Not exactly.  They held Patty up for ransom - the ransom being food
  for the poor.  The Hearsts paid for the food, but the distribution
  of the food turned into a fiasco; instead of the orderly distribution
  intended by the authorities, the trucks were mobbed, and more food
  was probably destroyed than distributed.

> Eventually, most of them died in
> Los Angeles when the police trapped them in a house and set it on fire.

  Not quite true.  They were trapped in the house, but chose to shoot
  it out with police.  DeFreeze had vowed never to be taken alive, and
  wanted his followers to die with him.  The fire started after police
  fired tear gas into the house.  It is thought that the tear gas
  cannister started the fire.  There is also some evidence that some
  members of the SLA in the house had tried to escape, but were shot
  (Apparently by DeFreeze).

> Surviving members of the group are Russell Little and Joseph Remiro (both
> still in jail), Bill Harris (Emily's ex-husband), Wendy Yoshimura, and
> of course Patty Hearst.
> (Mark Thorson)

  But then, I suppose there are those who consider Jim Jones a folk
  hero, too.
--
Frank Dibbell     (408-746-6493)     ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!canopus
Amdahl Corporation, Sunnyvale CA     [This is the obligatory disclaimer..]

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (12/15/85)

In article <511@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>Well,isn't that just wonderful! What "heros" (:-X). ...[and more]...
					       ^^^
					Is this the new graphical
					symbol for censorship on
					the USENET????

Kim Chr. Madsen

In article <13@diku.UUCP> kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>In article <511@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>>(:-X). ...[and more]...
>  ^^^
>  Is this the new graphical symbol for censorship on the USENET????
>Kim Chr. Madsen

I think he was trying to keep from throwing up at the thought of
the terrorists known as the "Symbionese Liberation Army" being
called "folk heroes."

I quite understand.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (12/17/85)

In article <13@diku.UUCP> kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>In article <511@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>>Well,isn't that just wonderful! What "heros" (:-X). ...[and more]...
>					       ^^^
>					Is this the new graphical
>					symbol for censorship on
>					the USENET????
>
>Kim Chr. Madsen

How about 'clenched teeth' ?

| Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and do not  |
|             necessarily reflect the opinions of       |
|             McDonnell Douglas Corporation.            |

          PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/17/85)

>>Well,isn't that just wonderful! What "heros" (:-X). ...[and more]...
>					        ^^^
>					 Is this the new graphical
>					 symbol for censorship on
>					 the USENET????

What the Hell does this quote have to do with censorship?

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"You won't believe this, but normally, I'm dead."

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/23/85)

--
> > >(:-X). ...[and more]...
> >  ^^^
> > Is this the new graphical symbol for censorship on the USENET????
>
> I think he was trying to keep from throwing up at the thought of
> the terrorists known as the "Symbionese Liberation Army" being
> called "folk heroes."

But they *were* folk heroes.  Well, I guess it depends on what kind
of folks you hung out with.  Of course you wouldn't catch the older-
and-wiser me supporting thugs like the SLA these days, but I do
confess that back in '74 (or whenever that was) I proudly displayed more
than one "Tanya and her friends can crash here!" poster.  Fortunately,
they never showed up.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****