[comp.protocols.nfs] How do I get PC-NFS to use DNS rather than YP? - Summary

root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) (01/22/91)

In comp.protocols.nfs I wrote:
>For various reasons, I much prefer to run BIND for my DNS rather than YP.
>As a result, PC-NFS has YP turned off and therefore, PC-NFS users look like
>having to maintain a \nfs\hosts file with hostname/IP-address mappings
>so that "telnet" and "ftp" etc will work.  This is very messy though...

>Is there any built-in way to get PC-NFS to consult DNS rather than YP on
>the server,  or do I have to take to rpc.pcnfsd.c or something?

I had a number of email replies. Many thanks to those who responded.
Robert Thurlow (thurlow@dhostwo.convex.com) succinctly summed it up.

Craig Bishop (csb@rome.gdwb.oz.au) provided the messy details.
| There is a "-b" flag which must be added to the makedbm on at SUNOS
| 4.0.3 system and just uncomment it in a 4.1.1 system. This is the
| makedbm for the hosts on your YP server. Once you have done this
| the PC's still use YP but YP will use DNS.
|
| One catch is that under 4.0.3 if you hosts file changes and make
| is run in the /var/yp directory your system YP will hang.

Although I'd much prefer to stomp YP completely, it looks as though
you can get the desired result.  Can Geoff (or anyone else at Sun) tell
me if Sun plans to add an config option to select either YP or DNS for
name service?  An either-or would be fine by me, no need for both with
one specified as preferred and the other as fall back.

Alternatively, Klaus Steinberger (k2@woodstock.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de)
suggested using FTP Inc's PC/TCP + INTERDRIVE rather than Sun's PC-NFS.
| [...] it can do DNS queries (and does it very well!), it's much more
| complete, and it's cheaper.
| [...] includes all applications (Telnet, rlogin, tn3270, supdup, mail
| (also pop2/pop3), lpr/lpq, bootp ftp, rcp, rsh, nfs and much more).

/\ndy
--
Andrew M. Jones,  Systems Programmer, 	Internet: andy@lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au
Centre for Lang. Teaching & Research, 	Phone (Australia):  (07) 365 6915

"No matter what hits the fan, it's never distributed evenly....."