[comp.protocols.nfs] ftp software NFS and others.

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) (01/10/91)

	Hi.  We're looking around to buy a pc-nfs system.

	I've heard good things about ftp software in the past
	(good transfer rate etc...) but lately a guy from another
	lab was complaining about it.  He could not install and run
	wordperfect and pc-matlab.

	Has anyone had good/bad experience with ftp software pc nfs?

	There is also PC-NFS from Sun but it's expensive and supposedly
	takes a lot of ram.

	I've heard mentions of another company but cannot remember the name.

	Please forward me pertinent experience with any (or all) of
	those packages.  (Wordperfect is a MUST Windows-3 would be nice).

	Thanks
		Scoob.

P.S.	For those who remember my request a few months ago about a PD
	PC-NFS.... well there is'nt any!!!

	On the other hand there are some two or three sets of drivers
	around on the net.  We've gathered utilities to work with one
	of them (still have problem with mail) and plan to post a
	summary of our experience as soon as possible.

	The utilities are (telnet, lpr, mail, rsh, rwho...)

	WE'RE STILL LOOKING FOR A PC NEWS READER if anyone knows about it.

	reply to:	scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca

fks@vaxeline.COM (Frances Selkirk) (01/12/91)

If you friend is having problems with InterDrive (our NFS client)
and WordPerfect, he's running an old version. Tell him to upgrade
to V. 1.1.

NFS client packages for DOS are available from FTP Software (us), Sun,
Beame & Whiteside, and Wollongong. I don't know how the latter two are
on WordPerfect compatibility (Leo? Carl?), but Sun's PC-NFS and our
InterDrive (V. 1.1) are compatible. WordPerfect does do tricky things
with DOS, so compatibility is not automatic.

--

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

arsen@erg.sri.com (Tom Arseneault) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan9.195655.20321@vlsi.polymtl.ca> scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) writes:

>	Hi.  We're looking around to buy a pc-nfs system.
>
>	I've heard good things about ftp software in the past
>	(good transfer rate etc...) but lately a guy from another
>	lab was complaining about it.  He could not install and run
>	wordperfect and pc-matlab.
>
>	Has anyone had good/bad experience with ftp software pc nfs?
>

>	There is also PC-NFS from Sun but it's expensive and supposedly
>	takes a lot of ram.

		I use PC-NFS almost exclusively. First off it uses
		less ram than the FTP software for the same function
		(~90K vs 115k for PC-TCP+NetDrive). However in some
		respects PC-NFS is simple to the point of being stupid
		a case in point is the mailer the editor though simple
		is very restrictive and it has a 32K buffer limit.
		PC-TCP is more of a programers tool it has much better
		utilities and programs but is much harder to set up
		and maintain. PC-NFS has a much cleaner user interface.
		The FTP software is much more flexible than PC-NFS
		but PC-NFS is better for beginers.

>	I've heard mentions of another company but cannot remember the name.
		I belive the name of the company is Woolagong (my
		spelling may be off but it sounds like that.)

>	Please forward me pertinent experience with any (or all) of
>	those packages.  (Wordperfect is a MUST Windows-3 would be nice).
		I have not run Wordperfect but the following is an
		excerpt from the PC-NFS manual (the FTP manual did
		not have any thing like this):
		"WordPerfect (Ver.4.1 and 5.0)
		WordPerfect from SSI software may not work properly
		if you start the program from a directory other than
		the one in which it was installed. If you encouner an
		error trying to load WordPerfect, type in the full
		path to the WP.EXE file when WordPerfect prompts you.
		WordPerfect will then patch itself and work correctly.
			When printing, WordPerfect may be used with
		the Diable emulation mode. However if you select
		"Diablo 630 ECS" from the printer menu, problems may
		arise since the program occasionally generates
		unsupported command sequences. Selecting "Diablo 620"
		works better.
			Most likely you will want to use PostScript
		mode (both WordPerfect and PC-NFS) if your server has
		a PostScript printer."

		I have had no problems running either "NFS" with
		Window 3.0 but some TCP based programs misbehave
		badly (more a problem with PC-NFS than PC-TCP).

>	Thanks
>		Scoob.

Thomas J. Arseneault
arsen@erg.sri.com

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan15.225259.7707@erg.sri.com> arsen@erg.sri.com (Tom Arseneault) writes:
>In article <1991Jan9.195655.20321@vlsi.polymtl.ca> scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) writes:
>>

>>	Hi.  We're looking around to buy a pc-nfs system.
>>
>>	I've heard good things about ftp software in the past
>>	(good transfer rate etc...) but lately a guy from another
>>	lab was complaining about it.  He could not install and run
>>	wordperfect and pc-matlab.
>>
>>	Has anyone had good/bad experience with ftp software pc nfs?
>>

>>	There is also PC-NFS from Sun but it's expensive and supposedly
>>	takes a lot of ram.
>
>		I use PC-NFS almost exclusively. First off it uses
>		less ram than the FTP software for the same function
>		(~90K vs 115k for PC-TCP+NetDrive).
>

>>	I've heard mentions of another company but cannot remember the name.

	PC based NFS is also available from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
(416) 648-6556. It uses 55K of memory of DOS memory and is fairly fast.
BWNFS is not very expensive.

	- Carl Beame
	President
	Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
	Beame@McMaster.CA

andrew@siesoft.co.uk (Andrew Sinclair) (01/22/91)

Sorry if this looks like an advert.. Siemens Nixdorf also supply a PC-NFS tye
product (PC-DFS). It works in much the same way as PC-NFS (We hope that we
have iroed out some of the bugs :-)). It is also unloadable, ie you
can free the memory if you don't need DFS (you don'y need to reboot).

If you are using it and have any comments let me know.

Andrew Sinclair

--
Andrew Sinclair        |Telephone +44 344 850 465 | Obvious to who ?      |
Siemens Nixdorf (SDG)  |Fax       +44 344 850 452 |                       |