[comp.protocols.nfs] Another PCNFS & PKTD.SYS problem

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (01/22/91)

	Hello!

I've installed the Packet driver compatibility kit for PCNFS because
I thought I'd be able to run PCNFS through it, but still allowing other
software to use the Ethernet adapter I'm using (3C503).  Specifically
I want to be able to use WinQVTnet under Windows 3.  Well, at this
point I get error 10, TYPE_INUSE.  It seems that only one software
package at a time can get the TCP/IP-packets coming in, regardless of
TCP port.  Is this correct?  If so, is there a way to bypass this,
for example by turning off PCNFS temporarily?  I would prefer not to do
it that way, though!

						Thanks in advance
						Niklas

--
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50

fks@vaxeline.COM (Frances Selkirk) (01/24/91)

In article <1261@appli.se> niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes:
>I've installed the Packet driver compatibility kit for PCNFS because
>I thought I'd be able to run PCNFS through it, but still allowing other
>software to use the Ethernet adapter I'm using (3C503).  Specifically
>I want to be able to use WinQVTnet under Windows 3.  Well, at this
>point I get error 10, TYPE_INUSE.  It seems that only one software
>package at a time can get the TCP/IP-packets coming in, regardless of
>TCP port.

That is correct. The packet driver sorts packets by type, sending all
IP packets to the IP stack, and packets of other types to their respective
stacks. Once one IP stack has "registered" with the packet driver, another
IP stack cannot use it, however, a product based on another protocol type,
such as Netware (IPX), can use it.

--

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (01/24/91)

fks@vaxeline.COM (Frances Selkirk) writes:

>In article <1261@appli.se> niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes:
>>I've installed the Packet driver compatibility kit for PCNFS because
>>I thought I'd be able to run PCNFS through it, but still allowing other
>>software to use the Ethernet adapter I'm using (3C503).  Specifically
>>I want to be able to use WinQVTnet under Windows 3.  Well, at this
>>point I get error 10, TYPE_INUSE.  It seems that only one software
>>package at a time can get the TCP/IP-packets coming in, regardless of
>>TCP port.

>That is correct. The packet driver sorts packets by type, sending all
>IP packets to the IP stack, and packets of other types to their respective
>stacks. Once one IP stack has "registered" with the packet driver, another
>IP stack cannot use it, however, a product based on another protocol type,
>such as Netware (IPX), can use it.

Ok, so does anyone know if there is a possibility to redirect the packet
driver's packets to another IP stack temporarily?  This problem can't be
rediscovered very seldom, I think, so maybe someone solved it before?
A possible way would be to have a 'push' & 'pop' executables, who operated
on a registration stack.  Only the registration on top of the stack would
get the IP packets.  Then one could have a .bat file saying something like:

push IP
telbin
pop IP

when one wanted to start telbin, and PC/NFS had control over the packetdriver.
Of course NFS wouldn't be accessible from within telbin.  How does this sound?

--

jke@tko.tko.vtt.fi (Kemppainen Jukka) (01/28/91)

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes

>Ok, so does anyone know if there is a possibility to redirect the packet
>driver's packets to another IP stack temporarily?  This problem can't be
>rediscovered very seldom, I think, so maybe someone solved it before?
>A possible way would be to have a 'push' & 'pop' executables, who operated
>on a registration stack.  Only the registration on top of the stack would
>get the IP packets.  Then one could have a .bat file saying something like:
>
>push IP
>telbin
>pop IP
>
>when one wanted to start telbin, and PC/NFS had control over the packetdriver.
>Of course NFS wouldn't be accessible from within telbin.  How does this sound?

I might have a solution to this situation. I have used PC-NFS together with
packet driver programs (NCSA telbin, lpr, ftp, KA9Q's NOS) succesfully
using following procedure

1) PC-NFS uses PKTD.SYS with interrupt number 0x7e
2) when I want to use some packet driver software, I use specific
   batch files for loading them. The general format for them is:

   @ECHO OFF
   MARK
   C:\DRIVERS\3c503 0x60 5 0x300
   telbin     (or any packet driver software)
   RELEASE

There are two tricks in this procedure:
1) using MARK & RELEASE -programs one can load temporarily (nearly) any
   memory resident software and easily unload it when it is not needed anymore
2) specify different interrupt number for each packet driver software, in the
   above example 0x60 is used.

Of course, one can NOT use PC-NFS services (net drives, net printing, ftp)
when other packet driver software is used. MARK & RELEASE -programs are public
domain (found at least in funic.funet.fi).

Jukka Kemppainen                      phone:  + 358 81 509 475
Technical Research Centre of Finland  fax:    + 358 81 509 680
Computer Technology Laboratory        e-mail: jke@tko.vtt.fi
P.O.Box 201
SF-90571 Oulu, Finland