[comp.protocols.nfs] DesqView-386 and PC-NFS Telnet

evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) (02/01/91)

Has anyone succeeded in running PC-NFS Telnet in a DesqView-386 (v2.3)
window ?  So far, it crashes everytime I switch from the Telnet task to
another task; not right away but after a while. It either hangs the
machine without a message or QEMM complains about a #13 exception and
then hangs the machine. BTW, the machine concerned is a 386-25Mhz
with 4Mb RAM. I've set the parameters for Telnet so it would not be
swapped out and I've also tried to give both foreground and background
tasks the same amount of time. The second task is the Big Dos window;
no others tasks are present.

Any clues ?
--
Eelco van Asperen.       uucp: evas@cs.eur.nl   || asperen@hroeur5.bitnet
Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands   || no claims - no disclaimers

harvey@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Betty Harvey) (02/06/91)

In article <5742@oasys.dt.navy.mil> link@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Link) writes:
>In article <1991Feb1.122149.1522@cs.eur.nl> evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen)
>writes:
>>Has anyone succeeded in running PC-NFS Telnet in a DesqView-386 (v2.3)
>>window ?  So far, it crashes everytime I switch from the Telnet task to
>>another task; not right away but after a while. It either hangs the
>>machine without a message or QEMM complains about a #13 exception and
>>then hangs the machine. BTW, the machine concerned is a 386-25Mhz
>>with 4Mb RAM. I've set the parameters for Telnet so it would not be
>>swapped out and I've also tried to give both foreground and background
>>tasks the same amount of time. The second task is the Big Dos window;
>>no others tasks are present.
>>
>>Any clues ?
>>--
>>Eelco van Asperen.       uucp: evas@cs.eur.nl   || asperen@hroeur5.bitnet
>>Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands   || no claims - no disclaimers
>>                                        Michael Jackson: half Man, half Bambi
>
>I have had similar problems with DesqView-386 and PC-NFS Telnet as well
>as the PC-NFS
>drives that I mount.  They
>well.  The problem occurs whenever I try to
>in a DesqView window.  Everything works fine outside of Desq-
>I have tried to isolate the problem by following the procedures given
>in the
>and this is what I have
>3 in the DV window from which I launch telbin.exe.  When
>the first line appears at the top of the screen
>

>Anyone have any ideas on how to run a telnet session under DesqView/386
>with PC-NFS?
>telnet window, but that
>address corresponding to the shared
>card.  I do exclude the shared memory region from
>config.sys.

You need to exclude the area where your telnet driver resides.  Below
is a copy of my CONFIG.SYS as well as a copy of the my deskview parameters
for NCSA telnet.  I have both telnet and a RBBS running simultaneously.
It took some trial and error (this isn't an exact science) but I finally
got it working.  Also I am using a newer version of TELNET which installs
the driver directly.

If you would like to get a copy of this version of telnet let me know
and I will tell you how to retrieve it.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Betty Harvey  <harvey@dtrc.dt.navy.mil>    |
David Taylor Research Center               |
Office Automation Systems Branch           |
Bethesda, Md.  20084-5000                  |

(301)227-4901                              |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/

CONFIG.SYS

device=\qemm\qemm.sys ram diskbuf=2 exclude=d000-d2ff
files=35
buffers=25 /x
device=c:\qemm\loadhi.sys c:\dos\ansi.sys
stacks=0,0

NOTE:  The diskbuf=2 is required for a SCSI hard drive.

                               Change a Program

 Program Name............: FTP

 Keys to Use on Open Menu: FT                         Memory Size (in K): 480
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
 Program...: \ncsa23\telbin.exe

 Parameters:  -s

 Directory.: \ncsa23
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
                  Writes text directly to screen.......: [Y]
                  Displays graphics information........: [N]
                  Virtualize text/graphics (Y,N,T).....: [Y]
                  Uses serial ports (Y,N,1,2)..........: [N]
                  Requires floppy diskette.............: [N]

                      Change a Program Advanced Options

 System Memory (in K).......:   0   Maximum Program Memory Size (in K)..:

 Script Buffer Size.......:  1000   Maximum Expanded Memory Size (in K):

 Text Pages: 1  Graphics Pages: 0   Initial Mode:        Interrupts: 00 to FF
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
 Window Position:
    Maximum Height:  43       Starting Height:  43       Starting Row...:   1
    Maximum Width.:  80       Starting Width.:  80       Starting Column:   1
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
                                Shared Program
 Pathname..:
 Data......:
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
 Close on exit (Y,N,blank)......: [N]  Uses its own colors..............: [Y]
 Allow Close Window command.....: [Y]  Runs in background (Y,N,blank)...: [Y]
 Uses math coprocessor..........: [Y]  Keyboard conflict (0-F)..........: [0]
 Share CPU when foreground......: [Y]  Share EGA when foreground/zoomed.: [Y]
 Can be swapped out (Y,N,blank).: [ ]  Protection level (0-3)...........: [0]

link@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Link) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb1.122149.1522@cs.eur.nl> evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) writes:
>Has anyone succeeded in running PC-NFS Telnet in a DesqView-386 (v2.3)
>window ?  So far, it crashes everytime I switch from the Telnet task to
>another task; not right away but after a while. It either hangs the
>machine without a message or QEMM complains about a #13 exception and
>then hangs the machine. BTW, the machine concerned is a 386-25Mhz
>with 4Mb RAM. I've set the parameters for Telnet so it would not be
>swapped out and I've also tried to give both foreground and background
>tasks the same amount of time. The second task is the Big Dos window;
>no others tasks are present.
>
>Any clues ?
>--
>Eelco van Asperen.       uucp: evas@cs.eur.nl   || asperen@hroeur5.bitnet
>Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands   || no claims - no disclaimers
>                                        Michael Jackson: half Man, half Bambi

I have had similar problems with DesqView-386 and PC-NFS Telnet as well
as the PC-NFS version of NCSA telnet.  I have no problems with network
drives that I mount.  They are available in all windows and perform
well.  The problem occurs whenever I try to start a telnet session in a
DesqView window.  Everything works fine outside of DesqView.  I have
tried to isolate the problem by following the procedures given in the
DesqView and QEMM manuals for starting with a "pure" system, and this is
what I have come up with.

I set the protection level to 3 in the DV window from which I launch
telbin.exe.  When telbin starts, the first line appears at the top of
the screen

CUTCP/CUTE 2.2D/NFS-A, reading configuration file....

and then QEMM reports a protection violation caused by telbin trying to
write to the segment of memory occupied by pcnfs.sys.  At this point I
have the options Abort, Unprotect or Continue.  If I Unprotect, then
telbin continues and the following message appears briefly -

netlisten: socket: not enough core

and then telbin issues the message that it timed out while trying to
open a tcp connection and returns the DOS prompt.  If I answer Continue,
I keep getting the same type violation about 12-15 times before I get
the same result as Unprotect.

I assume that the problem I am having has something to do with the
interaction between telbin and pcnfs.sys.  I haven't tried as vigorously
to debug the problem I was having with Sun's telnet, but I get a similar
protection violation before the machine locks up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to run a telnet session under DesqView/386
with PC-NFS?

I have also tried loading a second packet driver in the telnet window,
but that generates a protection violation at the memory address corre-
sponding to the shared memory address used by the ethernet card.  I do
exclude the shared memory region from QEMM's control in config.sys.

My hardware/software is as follows:  Zenith 386/25 with 6MB RAM, DOS
3.3+, 3C0M 3C503 ethernet card, PC-NFS 3.0.1p1, QEMM 5.0, DesqView 2.26
and the Clarkson version of NCSA hacked for PC-NFS, ver 2.2D/NFS-A.

Rick Link                     Internet: link@fracture.dt.navy.mil
David Taylor Research Center  Ma Bell:  (301)267-4335
Annapolis, MD 21402-5067      Autovon:  281-4335