[comp.protocols.nfs] NCSA Telnet does not like PC-NFS

csmoko@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Chuck Smoko - E41) (02/07/91)

In a previos posting, ce1zzes@prim.gatech.edu was wondering why PC-NFS
and NCSA telnet don't get along.   I was also wondering that and would
like to know if it was possible to use the PC-NFS programers toolkit to
make NCSA Telnet use the PC-NFS drivers.  I myself don't have this
product (PC-NFS toolkit), I have only heard about it.  I don't know if
it would be legal to distribute the binaries without paying a royality
to Sun.  Would anyone care to shed some light on this?

						chuck
						csmoko@relay.nswc.navy.mil

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (02/08/91)

Quoth csmoko@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Chuck Smoko - E41) (in <1991Feb7.140858.25291@relay.nswc.navy.mil>):
#In a previos posting, ce1zzes@prim.gatech.edu was wondering why PC-NFS
#and NCSA telnet don't get along.   I was also wondering that and would
#like to know if it was possible to use the PC-NFS programers toolkit to
#make NCSA Telnet use the PC-NFS drivers.  I myself don't have this
#product (PC-NFS toolkit), I have only heard about it.  I don't know if
#it would be legal to distribute the binaries without paying a royality
#to Sun.  Would anyone care to shed some light on this?

You cannot redistribute the .H, .OBJ and .LIB files that
we ship as part of the PC-NFS Programmer's Toolkit. You can,
however, distribute any application which you build with
these libraries in any way that you see fit; no royalties
are involved.

For example, Clarkson has implemented a version of CUTE (their
derivative of NCSA Telnet) which was built with the PC-NFS PTK
and runs over PC-NFS. They can distribute this in any way, and
in fact chose to make it freely available via FTP.

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--                   No cute comments. War isn't cute.                      --

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/08/91)

csmoko@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Chuck Smoko - E41) writes:

>In a previos posting, ce1zzes@prim.gatech.edu was wondering why PC-NFS
>and NCSA telnet don't get along.   I was also wondering that and would
>like to know if it was possible to use the PC-NFS programers toolkit to
>make NCSA Telnet use the PC-NFS drivers.  I myself don't have this
>product (PC-NFS toolkit), I have only heard about it.  I don't know if
>it would be legal to distribute the binaries without paying a royality
>to Sun.  Would anyone care to shed some light on this?

I would almost certainly say that the SUN toolkit is only copyright
when sold as a toolikt - that is no royalty for including bits
in your binary, but if you want written confirmation, I suggest you
contact the marketing people at sun east - try cutstein@east.sun.com