[comp.protocols.nfs] Use of PC-NFS with Quarterdeck?

nor1603@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Dean Colley) (01/31/91)

We'd like to use Quarterdeck's expanded memory manager to put
the NFS drivers in high memory. Is this possible? Has anyone
managed to use something like this to make more memory
available on the PC?

haralds@gollum.uio.no (Harald Steen) (01/31/91)

Just put the largest file in high mem. If you run Win30 then all apps on the
network should be run in Exlusive mode.

djb@bbt.UUCP (Dan Beauvais) (02/26/91)

In article <2908@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil> nor1603@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Dean Colley) writes:
>We'd like to use Quarterdeck's expanded memory manager to put
>the NFS drivers in high memory. Is this possible? Has anyone
>managed to use something like this to make more memory
>available on the PC?

Yes, it can be done, at least partially.  Here's what I have in my
config.sys, determined largely through trial and error.  I was only able to
loadhi the pcnfs.sys file.  If any of the others were loaded hi, pcnfs
would hang on initialization.

	DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS RAM
	FILES=30
	buffers=1
	stacks=0,0
	shell=c:\command.com /e:350 /p
	device=c:\qemm\loadhi.sys /r:3 c:\tansi.sys

	DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:2 C:\NFS\PCNFS.SYS /d3 /f30
	DEVICE=C:\NFS\SOCKDRV.SYS
	DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\VECIE6.SYS /i2 /t2
	DEVICE=C:\NFS\NFSVEC.SYS

	LASTDRIVE=h
	device=c:\qemm\loadhi.sys /r:2 C:\WIN\smartdrv.sys 2048 512

To sucessfully run optimize, you must first remove (or "REM" out) the
sockdrv.sys, vecie6.sys (or whatever driver your LAN board needs), and the
nfsvec.sys lines from your config.sys.  After optimize completes, put those
lines back in.

Putting a REM in config.sys will display errors when you boot.  It isn't a
problem, just ignore them.

I'm using QEMM 5.1, which I believe is their latest.  It supports Windows
3.0.

Good luck!

--
Dan Beauvais              +1 (919)-544-6850 ext. 295
BroadBand Technologies, Inc.             djb@bbt.com