[comp.protocols.nfs] PCNFSD for a VAXstation3100

tpl@hpcpbla.hpl.hp.com (Mark Watkins SW) (02/25/91)

I am trying to connect a PC to a VAXstation3100 using PC NFS. I have
succesfully managed this with an HP machine. I think all I require is
a copy of the DEC pcnfsd to run on my VAX. Where can I get one ??

Mark Watkins.      Hewlett-Packard
                   Stoke Gifford
                   Bristol
                   England
                   01-44-272-799910

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (02/26/91)

In article <TPL.91Feb25154221@markw.hpl.hp.com> tpl@hpcpbla.hpl.hp.com (Mark Watkins SW) writes:
>I am trying to connect a PC to a VAXstation3100 using PC NFS. I have
>succesfully managed this with an HP machine. I think all I require is
>a copy of the DEC pcnfsd to run on my VAX. Where can I get one ??

I could be missing something fundamental, but here goes.
As I understand it, PC-NFS is a package which allows a PC to
access NFS services offered by any NFS host.  You don't need to
change anything at the host-end.  The PC is just another client.
So, as I see it, there is no such thing as a "PCNFSD" which will
run on the DEC box.

(I assume you're talking about a DEC box running Unix; I know
nothing about VMS issues).

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

cearley@spot.Colorado.EDU (CEARLEY KENT) (02/26/91)

>As I understand it, PC-NFS is a package which allows a PC to
>access NFS services offered by any NFS host.  You don't need to
>change anything at the host-end.  The PC is just another client.
>So, as I see it, there is no such thing as a "PCNFSD" which will
>run on the DEC box.

PC-NFS actually goes through a secondary authorization process which
requires a daemon on the host to accept a packet containing a userid
and 'slightly' encrypted password and respond with a flag indicating
if the user is authorized, as well as what uid and gid is assigned to
the account. SUN distributes the source for this process freely, it
is implemented using SUN's RPC/XDR libraries. I've recently run into
this problem on my VAXstation 3100 running DEC's VMS/Ultrix Connection.
I cannot compile suns daemon process, because the DEC UCX software
provides an rpc library based on Apollo's implementation of the
same procedures. If anyone has come across a way to map XDR onto
NIDL I would be _very interested_!!

I'm amazed that UCX implements NFS server and packages it with NCS
rpc! Maybe there is a level of compatability there that is not
immediately apparent.

			-Kent Cearley
			-University of Colorado

tpl@hpcpbla.hpl.hp.com (Mark Watkins SW) (02/26/91)

>PC-NFS actually goes through a secondary authorization process which
>requires a daemon on the host to accept a packet containing a userid
>and 'slightly' encrypted password and respond with a flag indicating
>if the user is authorized, as well as what uid and gid is assigned to
>the account. SUN distributes the source for this process freely, it
>is implemented using SUN's RPC/XDR libraries. I've recently run into
>this problem on my VAXstation 3100 running DEC's VMS/Ultrix Connection.
>I cannot compile suns daemon process, because the DEC UCX software
>provides an rpc library based on Apollo's implementation of the
>same procedures. If anyone has come across a way to map XDR onto
>NIDL I would be _very interested_!!

The source code for the SUN daemon would be really useful to see. If anyone
has a clean copy please post it.

Mark Watkins           Hewlett-Packard.

>I'm amazed that UCX implements NFS server and packages it with NCS
>rpc! Maybe there is a level of compatability there that is not
>immediately apparent.

No, not necessarily.  DEC had been involved with the NCS camp for a
while; perhaps they decided not to bother porting the ONC RPC libraries,
and just ported the NCS RPC libraries.

Sun *does* freely distribute the source to the user-mode ONC RPC/XDR
code for UNIX (available from assorted FTP sites, and also, I think,
available from Sun for the cost of a tape); if you have the time,
patience, and experience with UNIX and VMS needed, you may try porting
it.

(Note: the above is not equivalent to "Sun freely distributes the NFS
source"; the RPC/XDR source does *NOT* include the NFS server or client
code, and I don't think it includes the BSDish-kernel-level RPC
implementation - you have to pay money for that.)

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (02/27/91)

Well there's been a lot of discussion here about running PCNFSD
	(which you really do need to run PC-NFS)
and more about getting the required rpc-services with it.

We're running Apollo's which use the NCS system, but then I'm just an
ignorant peasant. I took the sunrpc3.9 sources from uunet.net.uu (I think)
compiled and installed them. (We did have the Apollo NFS system already,
so I took care of not overwriting the real portmapper)
After that I took pcnfsd from the same address, compiled it.
And that's about it. No husle no nothing, just run a go. (sound like an add :) )

If you can't get hold of the source in the USA, try our site:
	ftp.eb.ele.tue.nl [131.155.2.25]

the sources should be in:
	/pub/apollo/.....

Ciao,
	Willem Jan Withagen.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands