[comp.protocols.nfs] Connectathon & PCNFSD

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (03/06/91)

Would any NFS developer who:
(1) reads this group [ok, cute, that's redundant, right?]
(2) is going to be at the [San Jose] Connectathon later this month, and
(3) has any interest in PCNFSD

please drop me email. I'm planning to bring along a development-quality
snapshot of source for the next PCNFSD, and want to get together one
evening to go over it in detail. (I'll be at Connectathon 3/18 to
3/22.) I guess the reason I'm posting this in a public forum is to
underline the fact that we're really going to do it, finally, and
anyone who has input but hasn't mailed it to me yet has only a few days
left.

I already know that people want:

- authentication to retrieve all GIDs and home directory info
- printer browsing
- print queue listing and job cancellation
- UID/GID to username/groupname mapping (instead of using NIS)
- hooks for custom extensions without having to rewhack the protocol

I won't be including anything about locking: the locking protocol
is published and stable (even if there's more work to do on the
actual implementation). Similarly I don't believe that PCNFSD is the
place to do software license control. I don't have ANY input on
Mac-related features, so I haven't included any.... :-(

My intent is to bring code that will build and run on SunOS 4.1 and
SVR4. I don't plan on breaking the 386/ix and other SVR3  variations
that many people have contributed, but I may not get around to testing
them before Connectathon. It should be a little easier to port the new
stuff, since it's going to be done "right" this time, with a .x file
and rpcgen'ned stubs.

Stay tuned

Geoff
-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (03/07/91)

In article <4658@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com writes:

>Would any NFS developer who:
>(1) reads this group [ok, cute, that's redundant, right?]
>(2) is going to be at the [San Jose] Connectathon later this month, and
>(3) has any interest in PCNFSD
>
>please drop me email. I'm planning to bring along a development-quality
>snapshot of source for the next PCNFSD, and want to get together one
>evening to go over it in detail. (I'll be at Connectathon 3/18 to
>3/22.) I guess the reason I'm posting this in a public forum is to
>underline the fact that we're really going to do it, finally, and
>anyone who has input but hasn't mailed it to me yet has only a few days
>left.
>
>Geoff
>-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
>--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
>--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

	Geoff,

		I am doing a talk at Connectathon about this very issue.
I beleive it is on Thursday March 21st at 6:00 pm. Maybe we can discuss
this and other issues at this time.

	- Carl Beame
	Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
	Beame@McMaster.CA