[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS

monty@NESTOR.BSD.UCHICAGO.EDU (Monty Mullig) (05/24/89)

Tim Williams asks:

>Has anyone out there had any experience with the use of PC NFS which allows
>DOS based PCs to use a SUN as a file server.  Good and bad experiences
>would be appreciated.

suns product, PC-NFS is exactly this sort of product.  it includes the
server [at least for sun's, and vaxen as well, i believe] and pc side of
nfs, so you don't need to buy them seperately.  the pc software is a
"client-only" implementation, meaning that only hardware attached to the
unix boxes on the net can be shared (with either other unix boxes or pcs),
and hardware on the pcs cannot be shared on the net.

we're generally quite pleased with sun's pc-nfs.  we have it installed here
on a net of one 4/280, 6 3/50s and 15 PCs. it has a number of glitches of
varying significance, but they're generally more inconveniences than critical
errors.  the product isn't so polished as something like netware, but it
is real tcp/ip, it does allow pcs to mount filesystems on unix machines,
it has telnet and rsh, and it supports [through the lifeline/mail product]
both smtp and popd mail protocols.  also, it has ftp too.  and, if you're
connected to a campus backbone (or something of that sort), which we are,
you can telnet to any other campus host on that back bone.  having real
tcp/ip is a great advantage over netware and, in my opinion, outweighs
netware's polish.  i'd suggest waiting for 3.0.1, which should fix a number
of minor glitches in pcnfs.

--monty

----- End Included Message -----

brunelli@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Brunelli) (08/09/89)

I'm interested in what people are doing with PC-NFS, i.e. what type of
machine is being used as a server, how the network drive is being
used, if any DOS software is being stored and/or run off the network
drive, the number of users at a site that are running PC-NFS.

Please respond to: brunelli@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (12/11/89)

Anybody know where I can get a copy of PC-NFS, ie who sells it?
Thanks!

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |

lodin@plains.UUCP (Joe Schmo) (02/08/90)

Is there any reason why PC-NFS wouldn't work with
a 3270PC?  I am going to use it as a gateway
from the IBM world (ugghh) to unix, and I don't want
to even bother if it won't work.

Post here or e-mail responses tto:

lodin%aiehost.uucp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
or
aiehost!lodin

lodin@plains.UUCP (Joe Schmo) (02/09/90)

In article <3361@plains.UUCP> lodin@plains.UUCP (Joe Schmo) writes:

>Is there any reason why PC-NFS wouldn't work with
>a 3270PC?  I am going to use it as a gateway

I forgot to mention that I have PC-NFS version 3.0 and
the the 3270PC needs DOS 2.1x to operate.  In the manual
for PC-NFS, it said it needed DOS 3.x or better.  Why?
Do I have any work-around solutions?

Thanks again...
Steve Lodin (Joe Schmo from Kokomo)

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (02/10/90)

Quoth lodin@plains.UUCP (Joe Schmo) (in <3375@plains.UUCP>):
#
#In article <3361@plains.UUCP> lodin@plains.UUCP (Joe Schmo) writes:
#>
#>Is there any reason why PC-NFS wouldn't work with
#>a 3270PC?  I am going to use it as a gateway
#
#I forgot to mention that I have PC-NFS version 3.0 and
#the the 3270PC needs DOS 2.1x to operate.  In the manual
#for PC-NFS, it said it needed DOS 3.x or better.  Why?
#Do I have any work-around solutions?

PC-NFS has been successfully installed on DOS 2.x systems (most
recently, the ROM-resident DOS 2.x on a laptop with a Xircom
Pocket Ethernet Adapter). PC-NFS itself seems quite happy
in this mode; however we cannot warrant/support this configuration
since any application will see a weird hybrid DOS - a DOS 2.x with
functioning versions of certain DOS 3.x (and 4.x) system calls.

In summary - we don't SQA this config., we don't support it, it
will probably work, and we'd welcome feedback on your experiences.
Reasonable?

By the way, you should upgrade to 3.0.1 at some point.

Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)
-----------
News software that enforces a four-line .signature limit is responsible for
the fact that these postings just go on and on and on and seem to end in mid-

hhg1@GTE.COM (Hallett German) (10/05/90)

Any answers to the following questions can help:

1. Can you load PCNFS.SYS and other drivers so it is expanded/or
   extended memory? Any hints how to do this would be appreciated.

2. Why can't PC-NFS run in the DOS compatibility box of OS/2? Is
   there a   PC-NFS for OS/2?
3. Any hints on downloading fonts remotely to a HP Laserjet using
   PC-NFS would be appreciated.

I will let you know how this works with Mac-NFS when I get it (within
the month.) I see this as a low-end way of doing file and device
sharing between the two systems.

Hal German
"I've been in darkness far too long to feel afraid" Alan Mann

hhg1@GTE.COM (Hallett German) (10/11/90)

On page 10 of the October 8th issue of PC Week it mentions that SUN
and Walker, Richer & Quinn revealed a kjoint development pact.

WRQ will work with SUN to customize Reflection for PC-NFS .

Over 20% of the 400,000 PC-NFS users want something beyond VT100 and
advanced features like multiple host sessions, hot key between sessions,
color graphics support, and built-in file transfer.

The two companies will also explore integrating the two product lines
such as E-mail and common user interfaces.
WRQ plans to release a Windows 3.X version in 1991.

Officials from both companies declined a time frame for the new
products.
The developmrent agreement is scheduled to plan 3 years.

--------
I like the idea of this. If PC-NFS will include a VT220 emulator and
higher and I have to pay a little more to get it, that is fine with me.
Building a series of products around PC-NFS (in addition to the existing
Lifeline) is a great idea. I welcome addirional comments from Sun or WRQ
on this. (Would be glad to beta)
Hal German
hhg1@gte.com

rtdickerson@lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov (russel dickerson) (03/21/91)

We acquired a copy of the PC NFS deamon some time back from source unknown
and are now looking for the docs.  Does anyone have a lead on where I
can go to get them?

(I work on an Apollo.  I dont know anything about PC-NFS and was just
asked to try and chase down the docs).

--
Russell Dickerson          Internet: dickerson@vf.jsc.nasa.gov