[comp.protocols.nfs] Win 3.0 and PC-NFS

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (03/20/91)

Given my operating environment I hope to successfully implement an "NFS"
based file sharing system, where the server is not located within our
office LAN but as an aspect of our distributed NFS file system (distributed
over our campus broadband TCP/IP network on many nodes).

My local operating environment entails compatiblity with MS Win 3.0
enhanced mode. We use many of the major applications, sometimes
in concert, under Win 3.0 on Zenith '386 AT class computers.

Many years ago we purchased Excelan's LAN WorkPlace for DOS, with its
TCP/IP, NETBIOS, and Socket Library modules. Novell recently released
an upgrade to this product line, after purchasing Excelan a couple years
ago. They announced (and pictured) Win 3.0 applictions which perform
FTP functions (File Express and Serving FTP); Telnet functions; and
inherent support for NFS, X Windows, SQL Database services, etc.

The latter functions are "supported" to the extent that they provide
TCP/IP support. I have read an article (in the NetWare Users Group
newsletter - Netware Connection) describing support for NFS (and
OS/2 HPFS) through Novell v3.11.

You must purchase v3.11 simply to obtain NFS services, and this only
as a server not as a client (i.e. no mention of Novell nodes accessing
Unix NFS servers on our campus TCP/IP network). This product seems to be
targeted at Unix users who may care to store files on Novell servers,
along side DOS files and OS/2 HPFS files.

I, and apparently many others, are in a similar predicament looking for
"the" solution. I require a native Win 3.0 "network drive manager"
application which simply requires TCP/IP (and/or NDIS) network adapter
drivers to access dozens (hundreds) of Unix NFS servers. Ideally, this
service would function along side FTP and TELNET application(s) using
the same driver(s) and adapter. Ideally this level NFS of support should be
found in Win 3.0 File Manager, but is not.

Several products seem to meet these needs. Plowing through the "noise"
(of late) I am to understand that Sun's PC-NFS works, with some reservations
as to how well it works with ftp and TELNET applications. B&W offers an
NFS implementation, though I do not recall reading how well it behaves
with any of the TCP/IP app's. I don't recall if FTP Software offers an NFS
implementation, though I do recall many happy customers with respect to
their ftp and TELNET applications. Some people have had complaints about
WinQVT Net v1.x (I am now using WinQVT 4.5x), mainly installation and
configuration. I would be interested in seeing comments on the product, from
those hurdling initial problems (especially with respect to working with
an NFS implementation). Does it support ftp and TELNET? Any chance of QPC
Software releasing an NFS implementation?

I hope this clarifies my intent in participating in the discussion. I made
an initial attempt to lay to rest the "deficiencies" subject line, I hope this
second attempt sticks.

Here is a sample rating chart which might assist in our endeavors:

   Product Name and Company	Drivers		Satisfaction Rating
   and product version #	Required 	used w/:ftp	telnet
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------+
   B&W NFS 			|			|	|	|
   (phone:               )

	comments:

   Sun PC-NFS			|			|	|	|
   (phone:               )

	comments:

   Novell v3.11 w/NFS		|			|	|	|
   (phone: (800) 346-7177)

	comments:

   Novell LAN WorkPlace		|			|	|	|
   (phone: (800) 346-7177)

	comments: does not deliver a, native TCP/IP, NFS client product.

   FTP NFS?			|			|	|	|

	comments:
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------+

Comments might focus on use of DOS windows within Win 3.0; ease of
configuration given hands-on experience; things to watch out for; etc.

Drivers needed might include Clarkeson PKT drivers; NDIS drivers; proprietary
drivers; etc.

Satisfaction rating based on compatibility with other ftp and Telnet
services running in concert, such as: Crashes, Works, No Problems, Some
Problems, etc.

State version numbers and list phone numbers when available. Version
numbers are required, so that we know which products we are comparing.

barry

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (03/22/91)

In article <BK-=R#D@rpi.edu> barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) writes:
>Many years ago we purchased Excelan's LAN WorkPlace for DOS, with its
>TCP/IP, NETBIOS, and Socket Library modules. Novell recently released
>an upgrade to this product line, after purchasing Excelan a couple years
>ago. They announced (and pictured) Win 3.0 applictions which perform
>FTP functions (File Express and Serving FTP); Telnet functions; and
>inherent support for NFS, X Windows, SQL Database services, etc.
>

>I, and apparently many others, are in a similar predicament looking for
>"the" solution. I require a native Win 3.0 "network drive manager"
>application which simply requires TCP/IP (and/or NDIS) network adapter
>drivers to access dozens (hundreds) of Unix NFS servers. Ideally, this
>service would function along side FTP and TELNET application(s) using
>the same driver(s) and adapter. Ideally this level NFS of support should be
>found in Win 3.0 File Manager, but is not.
>
>Several products seem to meet these needs. Plowing through the "noise"
>(of late) I am to understand that Sun's PC-NFS works, with some reservations
>as to how well it works with ftp and TELNET applications. B&W offers an
>NFS implementation, though I do not recall reading how well it behaves
>barry
>

>--
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
>| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
>+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd (416) 648-6556 has three products
which MIGHT solve your problem. I beleive that FTP and SUN also have one
of the three.

1) BWNFS/EXCELAN - An NFS client for LWP (Lan WorkPlace for DOS) V 3.4-3.5
2) BWNFS/LWP - An NFS client for LWP V4.0
3) BWNFS/BWTEL - An NFS client for NDIS drivers (EXOS2x5 driver is available)

SUN and FTP Software have #3 as well.

- Carl Beame
Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.