[comp.protocols.nfs] novell supports NFS

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/22/91)

If novell supports NFS on their network does that mean they are still
using IPX packets when they do it?  Or does one have the option to use
TCP/IP packets?  I will be administering a computer with nearly 50 PCs
networked to it but the division MIS group is in charge of the cable.
They won't allow IPX packets on the cable which is why we are not even
considering Novell.

Does anyone know if Novell is planning to support TCP/IP in addition to
IPX?

Dana Bourgeois @  cup.portal.com

jrblack@shemtaia.weeg.uiowa.edu (James Roger Black) (03/23/91)

In article <40450@cup.portal.com>, FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B
Bourgeois) writes:

> Does anyone know if Novell is planning to support TCP/IP in addition to
> IPX?

The following is excerpted from a Novell blurb on their new 3.11 release:

   NetWare v3.11 includes TCP/IP, a defacto standard protocol
   for fast, reliable interconnectivity between heterogeneous
   computing environments.  The TCP/IP transport support in
   NetWare v3.11 provides the following capabilities:

   -o-  IP tunneling of IPX packets, which allows NetWare
   subnetworks to be joined across a TCP/IP internetwork.  DOS,
   Windows and OS/2 NetWare clients can access NetWare servers
   across TCP/IP internetworks.

   -o-  Routing of IP packets across Ethernet, Token-Ring and
   Arcnet LAN adapters configured in the server to support
   TCP/IP.  This allows LAN WorkPlace and NetWare NFS
   workstations to access TCP/IP computer systems throughout a
   TCP/IP internetwork.

   -o-  Support for multiple industry-standard application
   program interfaces (APIs), which allow developers to write
   TCP/IP-fluent NLM server applications.  APIs supported
   include Berkeley 4.3 Socket Library, the AT&T UNIX System V
   Streams/TLI interface and the Sun Microsystems/NetWise
   Remote Procedure Call (RPC) interface.

 Roger Black                                   jrblack@shemtaia.weeg.uiowa.edu
 Weeg Computing Center                                  The University of Iowa

               "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands
                 of a pathological criminal."  --Albert Einstein

                    Disclaimer:  I speak for nobody but myself.