[comp.protocols.nfs] PCNFS & QEMM5.11 & DOS5.0

phys169@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (03/20/91)

In article <285@mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de>, behrends@tubife.ee.tu-berlin.de (Behrends) writes:

> On a 386SX, connected to a network via SUN PC-NFS ( Ni5210, Ethernet ), the
> nfsconf command does not work anymore. I suppose the problem is the "dos=high"
> option of DOS5.0, but I'm not sure about that. Nfsconf says 'packed file
> corrupt', but the network itself works correctly.

I had some problems with memory above 640K being used both by an ethernet card
and by DRDOS5.0. The problem seems to be that when DRDOS (and, probably, other
386 memory managers) look to see what addresses are available to remap RAM
into, quiet often ethernet cards with on-board RAM don't have their RAM enabled
at the time. To check this, try changing your config.sys line that refers to
EMM386.sys to (a) not use it at all, or (b) /Exclude lots of address space
where their is the slightest possibility of a clash. I use /Auto to include
from D000 up, that might be good enough for you, but possibly not. I use a
variety of software with the network card I have, which all seem to insist on
moving the onboard RAM around, which causes problems. I also use /BDOS=FFFF.

Hope this helps,

Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (03/23/91)

behrends@tubife.ee.tu-berlin.de (Behrends) writes:

>On a 386SX, connected to a network via SUN PC-NFS ( Ni5210, Ethernet ), the
>nfsconf command does not work anymore. I suppose the problem is the "dos=high"
>option of DOS5.0, but I'm not sure about that. Nfsconf says 'packed file
>corrupt', but the network itself works correctly.
>the amount of about 624k free DOS memory.
>I'm not very familiar with the (new ?) options of DOS5.0, but is there
>a way to get nfsconf to work again ?

>Thanks in advcance

I was told by a quarterdeck engineer, that this result was due to a bug
in some versions of EXEPACK, which manifested itself when programs
loaded below the first 64k boundary: basically if you add some drivers back
into low memory it should work. If anybody has more info - lets hear it.

bergonz@keeper.sublink.ORG (Michele Bergonzoni) (03/27/91)

 > >option of DOS5.0, but I'm not sure about that. Nfsconf says 'packed file
 > >corrupt', but the network itself works correctly.
 >
 > I was told by a quarterdeck engineer, that this result was due to a bug
 > in some versions of EXEPACK, which manifested itself when programs

You can try to work around this by a freeware package for MS-DOS, LZEXE (by
Fabrice Bellard). LZEXE  does the same job of EXEPACK, but using Lempel-Ziv
compression, and thus much better. In the LZEXE package there is an utility
(UPACKEXE) to de-EXEPACK EXEPACKed files, to achieve better result in
subsequent compression. Maybe you  could use that to  overcome the bug in
EXEPACK's unpacking code. If you don't  know where to find  LZEXE, try
+39516343719 (OCA System BBS), +3951554430  (BESIII BBS) [Sorry for  the long
distance...] or e-mail me if really desperate.
HTH, ciao

                                                Bergonz
--
Michele Bergonzoni                   | This
internet: bergonz@keeper.sublink.org | is