[comp.protocols.nfs] How do you use the network printer with PC-NFS under Windows 3.0?

aversa@ITSICTP.BITNET (03/18/91)

The subject says it. I've heard of OS/2 mode printing, what is it? how to?
Thank you in advance.

-fernando aversa (aversa@ictp.trieste.it)

craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) (03/21/91)

aversa@ITSICTP.BITNET writes:

>The subject says it. I've heard of OS/2 mode printing, what is it? how to?
>Thank you in advance.

The essence of how to do it is _very_ simple. You place the appropriate
line in the [ports] section of the win.ini file - and get it EXACTLY
right, which I didn't the first couple of times I tried. The line is :

LPTx.OS2=

where x is the number of the DOS LPT port where you have netmounted a
printer using NFS.

With this line in place, LPTx.OS2 will appear as one of the available
printer ports when you run cpanel - printers in Windows. Select that
port for the printer type you have net mounted.

NOTES, WARNINGS & RESERVATIONS

(0) All this stuff is actually in the Windows manual or the Windows text
    notes files. A little cryptic, but it's there

(1) Don't use a : character in the [ports] entry.

    Furthermore, if you do put in :'s anywhere, as far as I can tell,
    printing will _not_ work. If you're used to DOS you may, thru habit,
    put in a :.  Well, DON'T.

(2) You do _not_ need to be running OS2 for this to work.

    Maybe that's obvious, but it worried me for a while

(3) You probably can't use print manager with LPTx.OS2 printing

    I think the documentation says this somewhere.

(4) Netmount your printer (and disks, if any) _before_ starting Windows

    I have actually changed the netmounted printer from a DOS session
    inside Windows but I don't think this should have worked. Until
    everything's working, play it safe & mount everything outside
    Windows.

(5) Why it works

    As I understand it, normal Windows printing uses direct hardware
    port manipulation & with a netmounted printer (port), there ain't no
    hardware there so nothing happens. LPTx.OS2 printing avoids the
    normal mechanisms and hands printing over for the operating system
    to look after. DOS ain't OS2 but this little job seems within its
    capabilities.

(6) Warning - I have _only_ used LPT2.OS2 with this mechanism

    It's supposed to work with anything from LPT1 - LPT4 & others on the
    net have said it does. I have had trouble using LPT3.OS2 but I think
    that's a local problem.

(7) Warning - I'm using Beames & Whiteside (B&W) NFS, not Sun PC-NFS

    Again, others on the net suggest this works with PC-NFS & I've no
    doubt that it usually does. I have some unknown, but possibly
    machine specific, problems with netmounted printers using PC-NFS,
    even under DOS. I tried B&W NFS & the problems vanished. B&W is also
    said to be better under Windows than PC-NFS.

    Another advantage of B&W as opposed to PC-NFS is that you don't have
    to set lastdrive = z: & you don't have Windows complaining about all
    the drives that aren't actually there. You can avoid this problem in
    other ways but that's another topic which I won't start on here.

Hope some of this helps

John Craick

(j.craick@trl.oz.au)

alukal@hcx.rockefeller.edu (Paul Alukal) (03/22/91)

I am also interested in this. It seems the drivers are
not available from PC-NFS (ver 3.01) for windows 3.0
to setup PC-NFS as network. Any one knows how to print
from some application. e.g. paintbrush to a network printer
(postscript) on a Sun?

Thanks.

Paul Alukal            paul@popcbr.rockefeller.edu
Population Council   alukal@rockvax.rockefeller.edu
New York, NY

craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) (03/27/91)

alukal@hcx.rockefeller.edu (Paul Alukal) writes:

>I am also interested in this. It seems the drivers are
>not available from PC-NFS (ver 3.01) for windows 3.0
>to setup PC-NFS as network. Any one knows how to print
>from some application. e.g. paintbrush to a network printer
>(postscript) on a Sun?

This question needs to be in the frq list for both comp.windows.ms and
comp.protocols.nfs. A lot of people need to know the answer.

If you net mount a printer thru either PC-NFS or B&W NFS, it can then be
accessed & used from inside Windows via an LPTx.OS2 port. The following
is a post I put recently to windows.ms on the topic