[comp.protocols.nfs] Public domain NFS

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (12/20/88)

In article <8812170248.AA03407@asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
>Yeah, unfortunately the worst part of an NFS implementation on an IBM
>PC is writing the redirector,
>[...]
>Next to this, I expect the implementation of the NFS protocol itself
>to be almost a non-issue.
>			- john

Almost true, but there are still many problems related to the
NFS protocol implementation. Things like how and where you cache
things to avoid unnecessary network traffic (directory searching is a good
example); how you manage 32-byte file handles (you certainly can't
store them in the FCB!); and how you map the various error
conditions into the DOS error-handling framework (and coping with all those
bugs - especially in DOS 3.0 and 4.0). Lots of good(?) stuff to keep
engineers busy during the long winter nights...

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.  +--------------------------------------+
PC Dist. Sys. Group (home of PC-NFS) |When you're fresh out of lawyers, you |

root@wotk.UUCP (Superuser) (07/20/90)

Is there really a public domain version of NFS with source available?
(both clients and servers?)

Does the latest BSD have NFS?

If you have any details, please spill your guts.
I REALLY want to get hold of some NFS type source (mostly client side).

Thanks a mil.

Nick Hennenfent
Computone Products
1100 Northmeadow Parkway
Suite 150
Roswell, GA 30076

Voice 404 475-2725   FAX 404 343-9735   email ...!uunet!wotk!{root,nickh}

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (03/28/91)

Quoth jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (in <17810@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>):
#In article <1991Mar26.171349.16002@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
#+Nope, nothing at all.  It's been done, in fact.  I believe that Sun has
#+a trademark on the acronym "NFS", and they like you to pay them some
#+nominal fee to call your own stuff "NFS," but I'm not completely sure.
#
#Uh, $45K and bend the knees please.
#(Or is that for the Sun source and the 'right' to call it NFS).

To use the NFS and ONC trademarks (and that neat little octagonal
ONC/NFS logo), it's $1,000. According to the latest edition of the
"ONC/NFS Technology Guide" the contact people are

	Dennis Freeman or Felix Litman
	Sun Microsystems
	2550 Garcia Avenue
	MS PAL1-416
	Mountain View, CA 94043
	415-336-0955 or 1249

And I've never seen anyone at Connectathon bending the knees....

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --