[comp.protocols.nfs] Unexpected "gotchas" with PC-NFS ???

droms@jasper.bucknell.edu (Ralph E. Droms) (04/13/91)

I have some colleagues in mechanical and elecctrical engineering who
are about to put together a small lab of 10 PS/2s (I've forgotten
which model) to be interconnected and connected to the campus network
with ethernet - perhaps 10baseT.  What is desired is file and printer
sharing, telnet and ftp, and TCP/IP access to other services on the
campus net.  These PCs will not be used as "personal workstations", so
services like mail will not be needed.

I'd like to suggest that my colleagues install PC-NFS on their PCs, as
we already have 5 Sun servers and 40+ diskless clients running here at
Bucknell, we have PC-NFS running on a single PC in the CS Dept.  We
also have several other TCP/IP hosts, which could be accessed through
PC-NFS, as well as other Internet hosts.  I'm not a very heavy MS-DOS
user - am I missing something major?  Is there an important reason
*not* to choose PC-NFS or to choose some other network software?

--
- Ralph Droms                 Computer Science Department
  droms@bucknell.edu          323 Dana Engineering

matt@iquery.PIC.COM (Matt Reedy) (04/13/91)

In article <DROMS.91Apr12232208@jasper.bucknell.edu> droms@bucknell.edu writes:
>I'd like to suggest that my colleagues install PC-NFS on their PCs, as
>we already have 5 Sun servers and 40+ diskless clients running here at
>Bucknell, we have PC-NFS running on a single PC in the CS Dept.  We
>also have several other TCP/IP hosts, which could be accessed through
>PC-NFS, as well as other Internet hosts.  I'm not a very heavy MS-DOS
>user - am I missing something major?  Is there an important reason
>*not* to choose PC-NFS or to choose some other network software?

We used PC-NFS with non-Sun servers for 2 years before we even bought
a Sun, and it has worked quite well.  ftp, printer sharing, rlogin,
telnet, and rsh all worked well to a VAX/VMS host, AT&T and IBM RS/6000
hosts.  When we added the Sun Sparcstation 2 to the net, it was just
like any other.  We have about 18 PC's on the net and about 7
heterogenous Unix & VMS servers and have no complaints with PC-NFS.

matt
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: uunet!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. Internet: matt@pic.COM