[comp.protocols.nfs] Racal NI5210 drivers for PC-NFS

osh@jhereg.osa.com (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (04/17/91)

Greetings,

I've got PC-NFS version 3.5 up and running on two 386 machines using the
Racal-Interlan NI5210 8-bit board.  These two machines have CGA graphics
adapters, and are running DOS 4.01.

I'm using the drivers from Racal's BBS.  I think they are version 1.01.
Everything is working fine.

I tried to duplicate the installation on a Nortgate 386 (with AMI BIOS)
with a 16-bit VGA adaptor, and the machine locks up at the NET START
command.

I', assuming that the software is defaulting to C000 for shared memory, and
I'm pretty sure that the VGA is using that space as well.  I've tried to
specify other locations, but it doesn't seem to take, and I've received no
documentation regarding other memory locations for that board.  Any ideas?

Option two would be to use the NDIS drivers.  I have also downloaded these
from the Racal BBS, but I can't figure out the protocol.ini file.  Does
anyone have a working setup with a similar configuration that I could look
at?

Is there a repository of FTP'able information around?

Thanks

John

--
John M. O'Shaughnessy            osh@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.    Minneapolis, MN

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr16.235241.24352@jhereg.osa.com> osh@jhereg.osa.com (John M. O'Shaughnessy) writes:
>I tried to duplicate the installation on a Nortgate 386 (with AMI BIOS)
>with a 16-bit VGA adaptor, and the machine locks up at the NET START
>command.

>I', assuming that the software is defaulting to C000 for shared memory, and
>I'm pretty sure that the VGA is using that space as well.

For systems with most VGA cards, the first ni5210 usable address is c800,
NOT c000.  When this is set incorrectly, (I have noticed) a propensity to
hang at the NET START.  If it hangs while searching for a YP server, then
it might be the interrupt is in conflict/set incorrectly.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr