[comp.protocols.nfs] Accessing a DOS disk from unix over ethernet

robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) (04/23/91)

Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.

Can some sort of program be run on the PC that would allow a unix host to
mount a hard disk on a PC? We have a Magneto-Optical-device on one
of our PC's which allows up to 1.2 Gb of storage. It would be marvellous
if this could be accessed from a unix host either for users or even just
for backups. At the moment it can only be used for archival purposes.

If anybody can point to a solution (hints, public-domain or commercial
software) it would be appreciated.
--
Dr. Roberto Togneri                         Phone: +61-9-380-2535
Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering

martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) (04/24/91)

robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) writes:
:Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
:We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.

According to Unix Review vol 9 no 2, "Dos-to-Unix connectivity, part II",
PC/TCP by FTP Software (26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA 01880, (617)
246-0900, fax (617)246-0901), includes ftpsrv, an ftp server for the PC,
which can allow other hosts to connect and initiate file trasnfers.  I
know nothing else about it, and I realize it's ftp, not nfs, but since
what you ask is to "transfer files", maybe it will fit your needs?
--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 53, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) martelli@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex@am.sublink.org

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/25/91)

robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) writes:
>Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
>We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.
>
>Can some sort of program be run on the PC that would allow a unix host to
>mount a hard disk on a PC? We have a Magneto-Optical-device on one
>of our PC's which allows up to 1.2 Gb of storage.
>
>If anybody can point to a solution (hints, public-domain or commercial
>software) it would be appreciated.

Sounds like SOSS was pretty much written for you.  It's an NFS server
for DOS; note that you will need to set up a dedicated DOS box to
use it, if that'll work for your site, and use NFS client software on
your Unix systems.

The Australian distributor (via anonymous ftp) is

        System                         Directory	Contact
	kirk.bu.oz.au			pub/PC/soss	bambi

Hope this helps.

-rich