[comp.protocols.nfs] filename remapping problem

bstrong@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (04/25/91)

This question has probably been asked several times before, but I am having
a file naming problem and want to know if NFS is the one doing it.  When
I save files from a MAC to a file server (thru a Cayman GatorBox and a
Sun 3/150 as my Yellow Pages server) and look at the files from a PC, the
names are altered (remapped?) to include a tilde even though they are only
3-6 characters long (yet the MAC still sees the correct filename).
Furthermore, sometimes when the PCs save files to other file servers
this remapping is again done (again, filenames are less than eight characters).

Here is our setup:

MACs using file servers via GatorBoxes and AppleShare
PCs running Sun PC-NFS 3.0.1
One YP server - a Sun 3/150
Four additional file servers (NEC 386 hosts) running -
      Interactive SVR3.2
      Wollongong TCP/IP for Streams
      Wollongong NFS for Streams

Is this a PC-NFS problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Strong        TRW * Ogden, UT
                    bstrong@oz.bmd.trw.com

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (04/27/91)

Quoth bstrong@oz.bmd.trw.com (in <1343.28155889@sleepy.bmd.trw.com>):
#
#3-6 characters long (yet the MAC still sees the correct filename).
#Furthermore, sometimes when the PCs save files to other file servers
#this remapping is again done (again, filenames are less than eight characters).

Length is not the only criterion for mapping: character set
is also an issue. Since DOS filenames are case-insensitive
(though uppercased internally) it's necessary to distinguish
between the legal Unix file names "Abc", "abc", "ABC", "aBC", etc.
Since Unix filenames are usually lower case (don't be picky!)
the decision was made to case flip names, and map any that didn'rt
wind up looking like DOS (uppercase). Thus the Unix "abc" becomes the
DOS "ABC", and the others get mapped.

Macs are also case insensitive, but are case preserving, which
involves all sorts of crazy games.....

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (04/28/91)

In article <1343.28155889@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> bstrong@oz.bmd.trw.com writes:
>When I save files from a MAC to a file server (thru a Cayman GatorBox and a
>Sun 3/150 as my Yellow Pages server) and look at the files from a PC, the
>names are altered (remaped?) to include a tilde even though they are only
>3-6 characters long (yet the MAC still sees the correct filename).

I have noticed this kind of behavior as well ... and noticed that if ANY
portion of the file name (on the Mac or UNIX) does not fall within the DOS
filename restrictions, then there will be remapping (with a tilde) ... are
by any chance the Mac names using ANY capital letters?

The one that currently bothers me is if a file/directory name STARTS with
a capital, then the remapping is such that Win3 applications do not
recognize it, though FILE MANAGER does ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr