[comp.protocols.nfs] soss without PC/IP

tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) (04/24/91)

There's been a discussion here about running 'soss' without PC/IP.
randy@chinet.chi.il.us said to set up netdev.sys with only the
machine's IP address, and to load the packet driver at 0x7e.

I tried this, but get an error about "open failed for netcust".
Whut's this?

Can anyone help?

If you reply via e-mail, please use the address *BELOW*

Thanks.
--
INTERNET	tkevans%woodb@mimsy.umd.edu
UUCP 		...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!tkevans

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/25/91)

tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>There's been a discussion here about running 'soss' without PC/IP.
>randy@chinet.chi.il.us said to set up netdev.sys with only the
>machine's IP address, and to load the packet driver at 0x7e.
>
>I tried this, but get an error about "open failed for netcust".
>Whut's this?

I haven't followed the earlier discussion, but SOSS *contains* PC/IP
so it would be misleading to suggest it can be "run without PC/IP".

The basic steps are as follows:

	- Edit config.sys to contain "DEVICE=NETDEV.SYS"
	- Run custom and do at least the following:
	   A.  Set the IP address to a unique number on your subnet
	   B.  Set the subnet mask properly (to get 255.255.255.0,
	       a commonly-used Class C configuration, use 16)
	- Edit the export.us file
	- Reboot to load up netdev
	- Invoke the packet driver
	- Invoke Novell IPX and NET3/4, if desired
	- Invoke SOSS

I'll start following this newsgroup regularly and implement any
minor suggestions or bug fixes found here.  (Major contributions are
welcome, like creating a client-side TSR version or an NLM version
that will run on a Novell server.)

For those who don't know what SOSS is, it's a public-domain NFS server
that runs on a DOS system containing an Ethernet card.  It is now widely
available, as of two weeks ago; it was originally developed by
See-mong Tan, and I added a number of modifications and am now
supporting it to the extent that I have time.

-rich

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (04/30/91)

But, can anyone tell me how to get the compatibility kit, PC-NFS with
Packet Drivers, working?

What is the load order and any special things that have to be done to
make it work.

I am starting to loose ALL my hair!

Jim
--